• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Local Impacts to the NYC area from Hurricane Matthew

NJwx85

Since we're inside of six days now on most of the modeling, and the overwhelming model consensus is for at least some impact up near our latitude, I think starting a specific thread is warranted at this time.

First up is the GFS in about 90 minutes and then the GGEM, UKMET, HWRF, GFDL and finally the Euro with ensembles in between.

May the winds be damaging and the rains flooding :D

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we can use the rain in the water sheds......I found eleven storms that produced at least 4" of rain in NYC...1877 was one of them...

rainfall in NYC from a tropical storm/hurricane...
date.................amount........
Sept 1882.......10.63"
Sept 1944.........7.76" great Atlantic hurricane
Aug 2011..........6.87" Irene
Aug 1955..........6.32" Connie
Aug 1971..........5.96" Doria
Sept 1938.........5.74"
Sept 1934.........5.48"
Sept 1999.........5.44" Floyd
Aug 1879..........4.59"
Aug 1976..........4.28" Belle
Oct 1877...........4.07"
Aug 1893..........3.94"
Sept 1904.........3.85"
Aug 1991..........3.72" Bob
Sept 1985.........3.58" Gloria
July 1960...........3.56"
Sept 1954.........3.30" Carol
Sept 1960.........2.42" Donna

the 1877 storm was damaging in Brooklyn...

track.gif

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1877-10-05/ed-1/seq-5/

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/50378844

Just now, Allsnow said:

strong hurricane about to make landfall in south carolina 12z saturday on the gfs 

I don't like the look of that trof coming in from the Midwest. It looks a bit flatter. That may help it to kick east after this timeframe , but we'll see, 

I think that LP up north helps to flatten out the trough, and keeps Matthew from gaining much altitude before making a right turn.

Which is undeniably a move toward the Euro and we have seen this movie before. 

Edit:  Looked at the euro from 0z. - and I only have the free version - there is no LP in quebec, so there are differences between the 2, but the outcome is similiar.

14 minutes ago, pstar3182 said:

Why would you not like an easterly push? 

For you to get the kind of rain really needed to dent the drought, you want a deeper trough that can draw in moisture from Matthew and eventually phase into it like last night's GFS. If the trough is flat, the storm will be kicked east and at best it's a moderate rain event as the front comes through.

11 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I think that LP up north helps to flatten out the trough, and keeps Matthew from gaining much altitude before making a right turn.

Which is undeniably a move toward the Euro and we have seen this movie before. 

and yet people last night said that the Euro was moving towards the GFS

13 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

Stop rooting for a damaging storm to hit

The storm wouldn't be that damaging unless it somehow hit land as a hurricane up north. The best shot for that was maybe on Cape Cod, which people shouldn't want. However, the rain is much needed, and the amount shown last night would have caused some flooding but nothing major given the deficits. It also would've been fast moving. 

Still 5 days out, but the flatter progressive trough isn't good if you want much impact north of VA. 

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

and yet people last night said that the Euro was moving towards the GFS

Oh yeah and I just looked over the Euro and while the outcome is similar, the reasons are different. 

So...you can look at it 2 ways - the models are not locked in on a solution and everything is still possible

-or-

There is more than 1 way the storm can kick OTS for the NE

it's hard to get a tropical system up here for a lot of reasons.  I am going with the latter. 

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

But they're so attractive!

To be fair I only saw a few people doing that and the weather has been so boring.  

Forky's overall is message is right though.  The skill on 7 day OP runs isn't very high.  Hopefully it's a lesson for some headed into winter.

Archived