• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Local Impacts to the NYC area from Hurricane Matthew

NJwx85

Obviously anything can happen and i hope it does change back to the way it was at 6z yesterday.   But I wouldn't listen to people saying the track is going to shift west again cause the models aren't handling the trough correctly.  I would actually think it's the opposite and the models are finally starting to handle things better. Especially with all the info that's been going into the models  the last couple of days. The entire east coast is doing balloon launches every 6 hours now to get better upper air info and I also heard the hurricane hunters flew another high altitude flight last night to sample the upper air around the storm so the 6z and 12z models would have even more data in them.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, bluewave said:

This is what happens when the SST's and the WAR off the East Coast keeps setting new records.

Kudos to the Euro showing run after run Matthew getting stuck under the ridge near the SE.

Crn8WLtUsAAKgmE.jpg-small.jpg

Inside 5 days during the entire evolution it has been spot on .

gfs_uv10m_dir_3h_lower48_37 gfs  coming back.png

ecmwf_uv10m_florida_21  979.png

gfs_cyclone_atlantic_22  GFS LOOP.png

44 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the Euro is set  to complete the triple crown of October hurricane forecasting with Sandy, Joaquin, and now Matthew.

ecmwf_cyclone_atlantic_25.png

How did you Euro win here?  Bc it never showed a hit or brush for our area?  It was all over the place.  The only thing the Euro won was being correct in the PAC. The Euro was really good, consistently showing a weak trough crossing the US or a zonal flow and the other models were awful. With that said, it was pretty bad on the Atlantic side.  It played catch up to the GFS and especially the Ukie with the strength and location of the WAR and the track of Matthew once out of the Caribbean.  

8 minutes ago, Rjay said:

How did you Euro win here?  Bc it never showed a hit or brush for our area?  It was all over the place.  The only thing the Euro won was being correct in the PAC. The Euro was really good, consistently showing a weak trough or a zonal flow and the other models were awful. With that said, it was pretty bad on the Atlantic side.  It played catch up to the GFS and especially the Ukie with the strength and location of the WAR and the track of Matthew once out of the Caribbean.  

I score the win for it consistently having the further SE track relative to our area with the weaker trough and stronger WAR. While it alternated between 

how far NE it got, it was always SE of the GFS track which had those few eye candy LI and SE New England landfall runs. You could even see while

the track last week wasn't exactly correct, it kept showing the storm getting stuck under the ridge near the SE Coast. 

Most meteorologis i know are now sounding the all clear for the NE!!  Unfortunately I think we have no hope left at this point!!!   Like Upton said the only way that they could see something changing is if the system  coming ashore in the Pacific Northwest isn't being sampled correctly.  But I'm thinking that chance is almost 0 at this point!  You have almost every model agreeing that it will come no where near the NE.  I really hope I'm wrong and something big changes but I'm definitely not expecting it!!!  We are just in a very boring pattern that hopefully changes soon. Hopefully we get a Nor'easter or something tropical soon!!

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I score the win for it consistently having the further SE track relative to our area with the weaker trough and stronger WAR. While it alternated between 

how far NE it got, it was always SE of the GFS track which had those few eye candy LI and SE New England landfall runs. You could even see while

the track last week wasn't exactly correct, it kept showing the storm getting stuck under the ridge near the SE Coast. 

It was all over the place. Did just as bad as the rest. 

44 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The eps has a bunch of members north of hse and brings decent rain up to Phl now. Not saying we get a huge storm but I guess a decent rain is still on the table 

That will most likely find a way to go wrong. I'm with everyone else now. Never discount the euro for over all evolution. While it goofed slightly with the January 15 blizzard it's was a matter of 50 miles not 500 as we have seen with the GFS with Matthew

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The Euro is currently in the lead.

The ECMWF is running up the score here. The op Euro is beating the GFS and the NHC beyond 24 hours with track accuracy. pic.twitter.com/W4mfhILPrr

It's a fool's errand to rule the Euro out with tropical events even when it's on its own. It's insisting on a loop-like track and missing the flat and weak trough was a red flag to me. 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

It's a fool's errand to rule the Euro out with tropical events even when it's on its own. It's insisting on a loop-like track and missing the flat and weak trough was a red flag to me. 

It'a wasn't showing the loop until yesterday.  No model was.   It was 1500 miles off on day 5 (or 6) from the previous run when it first showed the loop.  Like I said, it basically nailed the pattern over the US but was late to the party on the strong WAR and westward track of Matthew.  People keep only looking at the impacts to our sensible weather on these model runs and aren't looking at the bigger picture.  Every single model handle this poorly.  I'd give the best grade to the Ukie as it was consistently showing a Florida hit even though it did have the trough taking the remnants up here in its fantasy range.

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

We're not out of woods yet, but with each passing model cycle it's becoming less and less likely we'll see a major shift in either direction.

Who knows... we have seen many surprises coming from hurricanes.

Archived