Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

49 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Same here... thick clouds hung on all morning, holding us in the low to mid 70s, but once the sun came out this afternoon we shot up to the low 80s.  The AC gets one last hoorah for the year.

Moline is up to 88 and Ottumwa 89.  A couple of 90s just popped up in far southeast Iowa.

New record there.  Temp held at 84 here for over an hour, but has recently jumped up to 86.  Strongest winds of the day with lots of blowing dust coming in from the surrounding fields.  

EDIT:  Site that shows the rapid ASOS updates has MLI at 90 now.  Just unreal.  Gonna have to look up what the latest 90 there was.  

EDIT2:  Looks like this will be the latest 90 in recorded history at MLI.  Latest one previously was Oct 13th.  

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is kind of frustrating, currently sitting at 86, so the record of 87 from 1950 lives on, giving that peak heating is over.

None the less, the warmest late October day I've experienced and some of those 90 degree readings are just amazing. 

After tomorrow forecasted of 83, rest of the month looks seasonal, with 1 or 2 AN days thrown in, October gonna put up some incredible positive monthly anomlies 

Feels weird today. Dead calm and 61/61. Most models agree 2"+ tonight. Some flakes in the forecast later this week but nothing exciting. I'm loving this warm fall so far. Usually by now superior has churned itself into the 40's and the last I looked, the harbor in Marquette was still in the mid 50's. fully expecting to be completely buried this winter. Could be a 300" winter

17 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Sorry for the intrusion...these winds gonna die down anytime soon? Trying to fly out of ORD and everything is screwed up. 

Doesn't look like it, should remain well mixed into the night and overnight.

Here is NWS-LOT's forecast for overnight near O'Hare

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

30 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Doesn't look like it, should remain well mixed into the night and overnight.

Here is NWS-LOT's forecast for overnight near O'Hare

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Bleh. Thanks stebo. 

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

New record there.  Temp held at 84 here for over an hour, but has recently jumped up to 86.  Strongest winds of the day with lots of blowing dust coming in from the surrounding fields.  

EDIT:  Site that shows the rapid ASOS updates has MLI at 90 now.  Just unreal.  Gonna have to look up what the latest 90 there was.  

EDIT2:  Looks like this will be the latest 90 in recorded history at MLI.  Latest one previously was Oct 13th.  

Looks like the official high at MLI was actually 89.  Not sure why there's a discrepancy...maybe something to do with averaging the obs?

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Looks like the official high at MLI was actually 89.  Not sure why there's a discrepancy...maybe something to do with averaging the obs?

Yeah, not sure either.  Kind of disappointing, as the 90 would have been quite noteworthy.  Still a record high, but not as impressive.  Ended up hitting 87 here.  Still 77 here at midnight, with a ripping south breeze.  

Both the Mesowest site, and the Weather Underground site showed MLI at 90 at a few different points between 3 and 4pm.  Not sure if they average the obs or not, but a max is a max to me.  Would love to know if DVN disregarded those readings for some reason.  

bhgjv6.jpg

Grand Rapids set a new record warmest minimum temperature for October 17th.  The official low for the 17th will be 63° and that is a new record the old record was 62° set in 1998.  Also of note is that overnight last night the lowest was a very summer like 72° That 72 is also the current reading both at the airport and here at my house. If the temperature don’t drop below 63 before midnight we will set yet another record for the 18th (the top 3 are 63 in 2007, 60 in 1947 and 59 in 1994) BTW the warmest minimum temperature for October in Grand Rapids history happened on October 21 1979 when it only got down to 72°( the high/low for October 21, 1979 was 80/72 and the next day it was 82/54)

SlimJim

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

ORD got down to 70 last night.  The record high minimum for the 18th is 65.  Record could be in play depending on how fast the dropoff is tonight.

70 at DTW as well overnight, our record min is 63 for the date. It is too bad the front is coming through early though because if we stayed above 70 until midnight that would be an all time record for the month. There has never been a record min of 70 for October at DTW.

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah, not sure either.  Kind of disappointing, as the 90 would have been quite noteworthy.  Still a record high, but not as impressive.  Ended up hitting 87 here.  Still 77 here at midnight, with a ripping south breeze.  

Both the Mesowest site, and the Weather Underground site showed MLI at 90 at a few different points between 3 and 4pm.  Not sure if they average the obs or not, but a max is a max to me.  Would love to know if DVN disregarded those readings for some reason. 

I think official temps are based on 5-minute averages, correct?  So, if you have a 1-minute spike up to 90.0 but the max over the other 4 minutes was 89.0, then the max during this 5-minute timeframe is recorded is 89.2, which rounds to 89.  Not 100% sure about this - but I seem to remember reading this somewhere.

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

I think official temps are based on 5-minute averages, correct?  So, if you have a 1-minute spike up to 90.0 but the max over the other 4 minutes was 89.0, then the max during this 5-minute timeframe is recorded is 89.2, which rounds to 89.  Not 100% sure about this - but I seem to remember reading this somewhere.

You would be correct.

Archived