Newest Member
    joxey
October 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, slimjim101 said:

Hi everyone I am a newbie here. I live just NW of Grand Rapids, MI and I will be dropping a line or two once in a while. I am not much of a forecaster but I like weather history and really enjoy record breaking events

There are a few of us in the area.  Welcome to the board.

I had to look up FWA's record for Monday after reading this since my point is calling for 84°.

10/16 84° (1963)

10/17 95° (1910)

10/18 86° (1908)

ANY other day from the second week of the month on and we would be flirting with a record, but it ain't happening here. It's going to be very windy though.

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I had to look up FWA's record for Monday after reading this since my point is calling for 84°.

10/16 84° (1963)

10/17 95° (1910)

10/18 86° (1908)

ANY other day from the second week of the month on and we would be flirting with a record, but it ain't happening here. It's going to be very windy though.

That is absolutely INSANE! Upper 90s in late October?! Nutso. Record here is 87 in 1950, it's very much in play. 

Heavy mist and fog, love this weather.

2 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

the stuff of nightmares and depression

Ok dramatic.

Wind has been howling the past 15 hours or so.  The power has flickered a few times but I'm wondering if it's from falling leaves.  I'd estimate trees to be 80% bare here.  Near 60 to the mid 60's for highs the next few days... already getting started on winter '17-'18's firewood stockpile!

15 hours ago, Jonger said:

Hit 31F at my house. Frozen puddles on elevated surfaces. 

October 14th is right on time. Called this one about 8 days ago.

I had a low of 33° at my house (36° at GRR) while I did have a frost still have not had a freeze yet  The color on the trees here is a little behind what it has been the past few years. We will have to see if it catches up or not. 

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

In addition to the unseasonable warmth on Monday, NAM/GFS also have dewpoints in the mid/upper 60s all the way to northern Wisconsin.  Pretty impressive for this time of year.

I think the more impressive thing is that it will come without severe weather. Most of the times we get that much moisture this far north this time of year, it doesn't leave quietly.

Monday
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 81. Southwest wind 10 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 65.
Tuesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 79.

:maphot: I mean what is this, late August?

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

I think the more impressive thing is that it will come without severe weather. Most of the times we get that much moisture this far north this time of year, it doesn't leave quietly.

This. Our chance for a second season severe event is going to go to waste.

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

This. Our chance for a second season severe event is going to go to waste.

Considering how quickly we have been recovering lately, case in point here this morning it was 45/43 when I got in and right now it is 70/59. I think we will still have chances, to be honest the pattern we have been is more similar to September than October. I think once the pattern buckles a bit more and we get more amplitude in the pattern something will go. Usually these years where you are transitioning into a Nina come with something very significant in the fall.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Agree.  We would've been in business if the original GFS type solution (more amplification) panned out.

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Breezy, with mid 70s today.  Leaves have really changed in the past few days.  The cold mornings must have helped.  

DVN has point at 84 for Mon.  Overall a very benign weather pattern though.  Hope we can get something interesting before the month is out. 

Last I heard, we're about 2-3 weeks behind schedule in terms of color change here. While the late September ULL and the brief cold shots have led to some trees turning yellow and orange, there's still quite a bit of green out there. 

The sunny days and the warmth (not to mention the 7-9" of rain that fell over the city with that ULL at the end of September) have really helped with that. 

Archived