Newest Member
    joxey
I'll see you in September

J Paul Gordon

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm curious as to why you cheer on drought for your backyard. Is drought exciting? I guess desperate times call for desperate measures when you're in a damage lull like you've been.

Not cheering it on...Just not seeing these soakers you are

Dave Epstein Retweeted Todd Gutner

Just a continuation of the dry summer's frustration.

Dave Epstein added,

CtReQ_KVYAECYX0.jpg
Todd Gutner @ToddWCSH
I fear this is going to be a frustrating week...lots of clouds but very little rain.
0 retweets3 likes

Retweet

More

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

I'm curious as to why you cheer on drought for your backyard. Is drought exciting? I guess desperate times call for desperate measures when you're in a damage lull like you've been.

Snows always get back to at least "The River" during the winter, but when in drought the rain stays on the coast.  This is all in the operating manual on page 54.  

56 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yep. Not that I want days of clouds, but we need it. 

Hopefully you guys get some good rains.  

I'm still in full sun and 70/50 mode through the end of our summer operations on October 16th.  Damp chilly days not as much fun.  Would take another 3 weeks like September 1-21 with mean highs near 74F.  Some days sneak lower 80s, others 60s, but most in the 70s.  That was truly perfect outdoor weather.

34 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It would be ok as long as it actually rains. Days and days of dreary with .25" - .5" to show for it  doesn't really interest me. 

Watch Ginx get 2" and NW MA get .25"

Which is exactly what's being shown.

Given the forecast configuration, one would at least expect an
extended period of low clouds, fog, and drizzle. 

51 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It would be ok as long as it actually rains. Days and days of dreary with .25" - .5" to show for it  doesn't really interest me. 

Watch Ginx get 2" and NW MA get .25"

pattern favors you. Pool closed today, was 61 when I got in it. Air temperature was 63. We winterizing  

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I'm seeing a gradual shift away from the dry pattern which already is noticeable in sensible wx.   Good timing too given our approach to winter.

I was thinking the same thing, that it's nice to start seeing precip on more frequent basis as we move towards winter. Still more improvement needed though. 

what i find interesting about the last 7 to 10 days of operational subtleties is in the handling of the WPO --> NP ...and how that may have transmitted forcing eastward around the middle latitudes ...all the way to the Americas, in the models. 

prior to 10 days ago, there was a series of comparatively weaker TCs over the west Pacific that curled into the westerlies, and within days of that ..ensuing tempos in the model depictions began showing more western heights/-EPO.  now...that tendency is all but vanished, and we are back to the troughing into B.C. and northern Rockies fast flow aloft.  

in the aftermath of model's impressions of reality ... I'm wondering if we now will ever see those western heights/-EPO; could still happen, as it was slated to do so in nearing the end of the first week of October so we'll see... but, the last of those western Pac entities completed absorption last week, and now... the models have been gradually redesigning the flow more akin to the [apparent] base-line pattern of higher heights from TX - FL.  etc... 

the short version is .. perhaps the models 'over-assessed' the forcing of those TC entity's latent heat fluxes, and now that those are no longer present they merely return to the previous dynamic - when and which by circumstance, they did not have to account for those variables.  

I find that fascinating.  goes -EPO's based upon over-zealous reaction of tropical forcing?   perhaps -

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:25 AM, powderfreak said:

10-day GFS totals are pretty solid haha.

image.gif

And the latest gfs gives my area about a tithe of what's shown here.  Tuesday's 0.18" brought us past the 1" threshold for the month, but both the Sandy and Kennebec Rivers are at record low flows for the date.  No low-precip monthly records, but the deficit has been building for a while - last month to reach my average precip was February

Archived