Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
I'll see you in September

J Paul Gordon

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It's a quick cool shot.  Big rebound next week and torched Oct,

Warm Oct is fine.  Last year Oct was BN and look what followed.  Only one location (though 120+ yr records), but the local co-op shows than AN Oct is followed by slightly AN snowfall, BN Oct by BN snow.  Novie is just the opposite, and with a stronger signal.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Growing season ending on Sunday morning or Monday morning?

GFS backed off a bit from the ridiculous 6z run but still most of us on Sunday morning have a big high moving in with sub-freezing H85.  

Probably will even if it backs off a bit (which is likely I think due to trough in west). It should still be a good shot. MOS has 37 at OWD this far out. Pretty good.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I cannot wait until this weekend. Oh Lordy...this has never been more welcomed. Good bye summer. Eff you.

I know we need the rain, but it was a perfect summer in my neck of the woods.

Anyhow...the drumbeats are still a way off in the distance, but at least they are being beaten

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was great for vacation no doubt. I'm just done with it.  

Yeah I feel for ya...up here we've had some dew intrusions from time to time but for the most part we've probably averaged 10F lower dews throughout the summer than a lot of SNE.  Granted the mountain valleys are also prone to a little more drying from mixing and compressional heating processes in between the higher ridgelines...then radiational effects at night bring it down a bit.

This summer had a decent sensible weather gradient from north to south, too.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks frosty on the Euro for Sunday night.

agreed ... i'm wondering what that compares to climate zones for first hit...   i think that might be early off the top of my head for anything warmer than light blue below?

c.jpg

which is to say mid Mass, NW/NE CT/ extreme NW RI and that bend-back region in S NH coastal Maine.

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

agreed ... i'm wondering what that compares to climate zones for first hit...   i think that might be early off the top of my head for anything warmer than light blue below?

c.jpg

which is to say mid Mass, NW/NE CT/ extreme NW RI and that bend-back region in S NH coastal Maine.

Odd to see that green blob in NW Maine.  The only US obs location in that green of which I'm aware is Big Black River, and it's more likely a 3a outpost than 4a.  I wonder if that 4a is based on Environment Canada obs. perhaps at St.-Jean-Port-Joli on the St. Lawrence.  If it's from the border town of St.-Pamphile, I'd be surprised as it's a cold spot.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Odd to see that green blob in NW Maine.  The only US obs location in that green of which I'm aware is Big Black River, and it's more likely a 3a outpost than 4a.  I wonder if that 4a is based on Environment Canada obs. perhaps at St.-Jean-Port-Joli on the St. Lawrence.  If it's from the border town of St.-Pamphile, I'd be surprised as it's a cold spot.

Big Black River is pretty recent though, isn't it? It may not have a long enough station history to be in that database they use.

I'd bet that spot is contaminated by a station like the bolded.

34 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I wouldn't take that map with more than a grain of salt as a basic guide.  That zone "3B" makes very little sense in northern VT as it goes from the Champlain Valley through the Spine and then into NE Vermont.  There are like 3 very distinct climate zones there from 4,000ft to 150ft in the Champlain Valley, and then all the elevated hollows of NE/VT.  There's no way the vegetation in the northern Champlain Valley is anyway like the more boreal forest hardiness of NE VT.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I had the best vacation weather I'll ever have. Just great weather for each time on break and not even a cloudy day. The good side of drought...lol.  

My long weekend down in NE CT I think was funny because we got 2.25" of rainfall in like 18 hours on 3 solid thunderstorms that seemed to last for hours with lightning.  Despite the drought I probably saw the heaviest rainfall that area of North Woodstock sees all year long, haha.

Archived