joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2016 Discussion/Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daylight loss aside, the pattern is such that it will continue to feel much like summer as we progress into mid September. Solid string of positive SOI dailies indicative of large scale east --> west flow, low frequency tropical forcing in the WPAC, and upper level convergence signal propagating ewd into the central tropical Pacific by week 2. These larger scale alterations should aid the development / retrogression of the mid-level ridge south of AK in the Pacific, thereby inducing the downstream trough amplification in the Rockies/PAC NW, and concomitant E US ridge expansion. 

Very conducive pattern as currently progged on the ensembles for a very hot Labor Day-9/10 period; not merely the run of the mill +1 SD warmth we've been seeing as of late, but a potential anomalous heat stretch in that September 5th-10th period. Some of my analogs for this summer, such as 1988 and 1983, also produced some impressive late season heat, so there is historical support in conjunction w/ latest global indicators and model guidance.

Overall, I'm not really seeing any perceivable indication of protracted autumn temperatures in the Northeast. The possibility exists for a very hot second week of September, and thereafter, a proclivity for the maintenance of the SE ridge appears reasonable. 

This summer has - heretofore - generally been devoid of impressive/widespread > +20c 850mb pulses into the Northeast; however, Sept 5+ could produce such an event if the ridge/trough orientation evolves as modelled. Would not be surprised to see 100F at DCA once again with mid-upper 90s up the I-95 corridor.

The second week of September should feature a classic looking Nina / low AAM regime w/ the mid latitude ridging south of AK, strong vortex north of Greenland, and corresponding/teleconnecting trough and ridge in the West and East respectively (does this pattern look familiar? --> December 2015?).

8wcegj.gif

13 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Daylight loss aside, the pattern is such that it will continue to feel much like summer as we progress into mid September. Solid string of positive SOI dailies indicative of large scale east --> west flow, low frequency tropical forcing in the WPAC, and upper level convergence signal propagating ewd into the central tropical Pacific by week 2. These larger scale alterations should aid the development / retrogression of the mid-level ridge south of AK in the Pacific, thereby inducing the downstream trough amplification in the Rockies/PAC NW, and concomitant E US ridge expansion. 

Very conducive pattern as currently progged on the ensembles for a very hot Labor Day-9/10 period; not merely the run of the mill +1 SD warmth we've been seeing as of late, but a potential anomalous heat stretch in that September 5th-10th period. Some of my analogs for this summer, such as 1988 and 1983, also produced some impressive late season heat, so there is historical support in conjunction w/ latest global indicators and model guidance.

Overall, I'm not really seeing any perceivable indication of protracted autumn temperatures in the Northeast. The possibility exists for a very hot second week of September, and thereafter, a proclivity for the maintenance of the SE ridge appears reasonable. 

This summer has - heretofore - generally been devoid of impressive/widespread > +20c 850mb pulses into the Northeast; however, Sept 5+ could produce such an event if the ridge/trough orientation evolves as modelled. Would not be surprised to see 100F at DCA once again with mid-upper 90s up the I-95 corridor.

The second week of September should feature a classic looking Nina / low AAM regime w/ the mid latitude ridging south of AK, strong vortex north of Greenland, and corresponding/teleconnecting trough and ridge in the West and East respectively (does this pattern look familiar? --> December 2015?).

8wcegj.gif

So we are in agreement on the loss of sunlight?  All joking aside, nice work, as always and we are in agreement. Especially as I sweat sitting out in my yard today. 

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'm expecting a continued decline in sun angle. 

That is the most certain prediction, lol. I am hoping Isotherm is wrong, but he does always give thorough analysis, agree or not. So far I don't see any 20c temps - we'll have to watch. Autumn has to come soon I hope! Who knows in our new world.

40 minutes ago, mattinpa said:

That is the most certain prediction, lol. I am hoping Isotherm is wrong, but he does always give thorough analysis, agree or not. So far I don't see any 20c temps - we'll have to watch. Autumn has to come soon I hope! Who knows in our new world.

It can stay above normal for now as long as it flips in late November and stays that way for a few months ;)

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

It can stay above normal for now as long as it flips in late November and stays that way for a few months ;)

Yes, true. Just hope the 95+ degree weather doesn't come after what we've had for an extended period. I'll now leave it to the analysts though as not to go too much into banter. :)

17 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Looks like a shot at some 40's for lows in the NW area this weekend. Euro now delays the warmth until after Labor Day. The Thursday-Monday look absolutely amazing. After Labor Day the war returns and the torch. 

Still looks like about 3-4 days of 90 degree plus temps around Labor Day - then drops to the 80s with maybe no more 90s until next spring/summer. But it doesn't look like a quick decline into autumn with still  above normal temps through day 16.

5 minutes ago, mattinpa said:

Still looks like about 3-4 days of 90 degree plus temps around Labor Day - then drops to the 80s with maybe no more 90s until next spring/summer. But it doesn't look like a quick decline into autumn with still  above normal temps through day 16.

Weeklies are a torch the entire month. +5 after week 1

Just now, IntenseBlizzard2014 said:

Hardly. I see the oranges overlapping at the GWB. Definitely NNJ, but not the NYC surrounding areas.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Uhh, nnj IS "surrounding areas". so is westchester, where that gfs shows a low of 55 on saturday morning at hpn.  It even has newark in the 50s. 

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Uhh, nnj IS "surrounding areas". so is westchester, where that gfs shows a low of 55 on saturday morning at hpn.  It even has newark in the 50s. 

I agree.  That's why I originally said some areas, and by that I meant Northern and Northwestern NJ.  My forecast is for lows in the 50s, which means that far Western Jersey and the valleys will get there no problem.

Just to compare, here's my NWS forecast:  

image.jpg

On 8/27/2016 at 2:46 PM, IrishRob17 said:

So we are in agreement on the loss of sunlight?  All joking aside, nice work, as always and we are in agreement. Especially as I sweat sitting out in my yard today. 

Thanks Rob. Yes; that's one prediction that has a 100% probability of verifying!

Still looks above normal for the foreseeable future, but once again, we have surface features contradicting what the mid levels would imply in terms of outcomes. Geopotential heights will generally rise to 588-94dm for much of the period Labor Day week, but because sfc high pressure might be located in an unfavorable position for heat (to our northeast), the resultant temperatures will be more muted. So above normal with modest dew points, but it doesn't appear that we'll be looking at 90F+ right now, unless modelling alters the placement of sfc features.

Our weekend cooldown looks to still feature at or above average temps

.FRIDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S.

FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 60S.

.SATURDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 60S.

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S. .

SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 60S.

.LABOR DAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S.

.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE UPPER 60S.

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S.

10 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Our weekend cooldown looks to still feature at or above average temps

.FRIDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S.

FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 60S.

.SATURDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 60S.

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S. .

SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 60S.

.LABOR DAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S.

.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE UPPER 60S.

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S.

Seems on the high side to me...certainly don't see any models showing mid 80's for Friday. More like near 80 for highs and near 60 for lows for Fri-Sun.

3 hours ago, doncat said:

Seems on the high side to me...certainly don't see any models showing mid 80's for Friday. More like near 80 for highs and near 60 for lows for Fri-Sun.

Yeah...not too bad

Thursday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. Northwest wind 7 to 9 mph.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 84.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 65.
Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 80.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 66.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 79.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 67.