Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it's been dry here, it's much worse further north. We went up to the Finger Lakes area in New York and they've been in an extended drought and a lot of residential wells are drying up. Between winery visits, we stopped by to see the Taughannock Falls and it was a trickle. Here's a shot of the river just downstream from where the falls are.

image.jpeg

38 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Although it's been dry here, it's much worse further north. We went up to the Finger Lakes area in New York and they've been in an extended drought and a lot of residential wells are drying up. Between winery visits, we stopped by to see the Taughannock Falls and it was a trickle. Here's a shot of the river just downstream from where the falls are.

image.jpeg

Holy crap...that looks like Stephens City!

:o

30 minutes ago, mappy said:

^^ WHOA! Went camping there a few times while in college... kind of crazy to see it like that. Geesh. 

Yeah, it was a great trip and a beautiful area, but a pretty terrible drought. The wines, especially the Reislings, are pretty darn good too!

If you are familiar with how the falls are normally, then you'll appreciate this photo too.

image.jpeg

If you like baseball or just good ballpark food, the O's are in town tonight and there are plenty of tickets available.  If you don't want to spen a lot, I'd suggest bleacher seats. The upper deck might be a couple of bucks cheaper, but the lower deck and Eutaw St are where the best food and drink selections are available.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

If you like baseball or just good ballpark food, the O's are in town tonight and there are plenty of tickets available.  If you don't want to spen a lot, I'd suggest bleacher seats. The upper deck might be a couple of bucks cheaper, but the lower deck and Eutaw St are where the best food and drink selections are available.

Thanks. Went last night. Got a good seat just behind the Rockies dugout, up one level, for $30. I have to say o was a bit underwhelmed by Boog's. 

20 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Thanks. Went last night. Got a good seat just behind the Rockies dugout, up one level, for $30. I have to say o was a bit underwhelmed by Boog's. 

The O's weren't overly impressive either. Wednesday's are pretty slow, but Nicks in Cross St market is a good happy hour spot, and Fells Point has a decent music bar in Cats Eye Pub, but they're kind of go to spots. My guess is that you been to all the trendy spots downtown. If you have a car, you may want to check out Union Brewery and Waverly Brewery in Hampden, and there's a great whiskey and bbq joint there called Blue Pit. Also good grub at Birrotecha in the same area, but if you like Italian, there's Grano's which is byob also up the street from the breweries.

I filled the birdfeeder this afternoon and I've never seen so many birds attack it like this. It's only been a few hours and it's almost empty. Yesterday, when I had the sprinkler on, a Cooper hawk landed on the patio and took a bath for about 10 minutes. I have a video but it's too big to upload. Here's a blurry photo though. 

image.jpeg

19 hours ago, mreaves said:

Ended up walking down to Fells Point. Pretty cool area, maybe a bit too gentrified. Had a Natty Bo and walked back along the harbor. I've enjoyed my time here, other than the freaking heat and humidity. 

I grew up there, it's definitely not the neighborhood I grew up in in a lot of ways, a lot of the old charm is gone with the rebuilt houses that stand out among the non-rehabbed ones (like my dad's house, who still lives there)

South New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland --- These are all places that will see tremendous amounts of heavy rain today and tonight. Get to high ground NOW!!!!!!!! There will be hundreds of frantic water rescues tonight in those states, Turn Around, Don't Drown.

The District will get clipped.

Dale City may see a stray shower or two, I am really full of excitement and anticipation over the incredible prospect of getting a tenth of an inch of rain from this!!!!!!!1!!!

The Drought of 2016 is ON!!!!!!!!!! Some of my neighbors' lawns are already turning brown from lack of rain and hot sunny days, and we got a hell of a lot more where that came from - straight thru at least late October. Welcome to La Nina.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived