joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, shrinking risk area, not surprised. Never put your faith in a 3-day out severe prediction in Southern New England, its a likely remote possibility at best, whatever the SPC may say. On the other hand, I will also not be surprised to see the risk area expand again on the day of, or night before.

It's SNE, that's just how it is here.

Heading to Mount Vernon Maine tommorrow morning for vacation.  Last year,our stay was violently brought to an end by severe weather mid week. As exciting as it was for me, for my kids sake I'm rooting against anything too crazy on Friday up there.  My son was tramatized for a long time, every time a dark cloud or breeze picked up he flipped out. 

21 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Heading to Mount Vernon Maine tommorrow morning for vacation.  Last year,our stay was violently brought to an end by severe weather mid week. As exciting as it was for me, for my kids sake I'm rooting against anything too crazy on Friday up there.  My son was tramatized for a long time, every time a dark cloud or breeze picked up he flipped out. 

Good luck, That area will probably be under the gun again

21 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Good luck, That area will probably be under the gun again

They need to come about 10 miles farther north; my place avoids svr very efficiently.  No lake, however - even the (formerly) 5-acre beaver pond is just a puddle, since the animals left and the dam blew out.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

They need to come about 10 miles farther north; my place avoids svr very efficiently.  No lake, however - even the (formerly) 5-acre beaver pond is just a puddle, since the animals left and the dam blew out.

Or south to here, 7-10 splits are frequent in this area

did anyone notice ... the last three cycles of the NAM puts regional Lifted Indexes down to -9 or -8 for much of the region, and fails to actually have QPF for those some areas overnight Friday into early Saturday.

that's ...incredible.   

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Probably some lines or segments. I suppose a SUP can't be ruled out if we get more of a EML. It also may not be much of anything, so always keep that in mind. I wouldn't really go nuts until tomorrow to be honest. 

I just want something half as decent as last February LOL

4 hours ago, ct_yankee said:

Yeah, shrinking risk area, not surprised. Never put your faith in a 3-day out severe prediction in Southern New England, its a likely remote possibility at best, whatever the SPC may say. On the other hand, I will also not be surprised to see the risk area expand again on the day of, or night before.

It's SNE, that's just how it is here.

On the contrary, I would say SPC only pulls the trigger on slights in New England at that range if they really think there is potential. It's usually their closer in threats that we have issues with.

There's still a quite a bit of flags here.  Too not see the models not only spit out much QPF but mesos have not much of anything is a huge concern.  

I also think there could be a bit of a disconnect between the best parameters being able to overlap and the EML plume may not arrive until too late...before that the soundings show numerous areas of warming aloft.  

I'm even shocked we're not seeing much in NNE on mesos but with timing slowing down and all of the pre-frontal this could sort of hurt.  

If this is nocturnal we need EML plume to move in b/c BL will begin to stabilize.  

There is a lot that looks good but quite a bit that looks bad 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There's still a quite a bit of flags here.  Too not see the models not only spit out much QPF but mesos have not much of anything is a huge concern.  

I also think there could be a bit of a disconnect between the best parameters being able to overlap and the EML plume may not arrive until too late...before that the soundings show numerous areas of warming aloft.  

I'm even shocked we're not seeing much in NNE on mesos but with timing slowing down and all of the pre-frontal this could sort of hurt.  

If this is nocturnal we need EML plume to move in b/c BL will begin to stabilize.  

There is a lot that looks good but quite a bit that looks bad 

It definitely is starting to look like more of a later show than normal for New England.

I am intrigued by the shear vectors. The front is coming in from the NW (so SW to NE orientation) and the forecast 0-6km shear vectors are a little N of due W. So there will be a tendency to line out. But the right movers are forecast to be from 300 or more. So there could be a couple beasts that "step out" from the lines.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It definitely is starting to look like more of a later show than normal for New England.

I am intrigued by the shear vectors. The front is coming in from the NW (so SW to NE orientation) and the forecast 0-6km shear vectors are a little N of due W. So there will be a tendency to line out. But the right movers are forecast to be from 300 or more. So there could be a couple beasts that "step out" from the lines.

Yeah no doubt the shear alignment is quite interesting.  If/when we see stuff develop I wonder if we have a good 3-4 HR window of supercells in NNE then this stuff conjoins into either a line segment or MCS then works SE. Perhaps something similar to like May of 2010 I think it was. 

Given the shear aloft this is when the valleys are really going to increase 0-1 SRH

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah no doubt the shear alignment is quite interesting.  If/when we see stuff develop I wonder if we have a good 3-4 HR window of supercells in NNE then this stuff conjoins into either a line segment or MCS then works SE. Perhaps something similar to like May of 2010 I think it was. 

Given the shear aloft this is when the valleys are really going to increase 0-1 SRH

There should be no shortage of storms through the night though. The models aren't backing down off nocturnal CAPE. Get your cameras ready for some lightning.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

There should be no shortage of storms through the night though. The models aren't backing down off nocturnal CAPE. Get your cameras ready for some lightning.

Why do you think the models aren't spitting out much?  I'm trying to figure out where to chase tomorrow...will NNE get stuff during the day?  I don't want to go if I'm not going richer stiff 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Why do you think the models aren't spitting out much?  I'm trying to figure out where to chase tomorrow...will NNE get stuff during the day?  I don't want to go if I'm not going richer stiff 

As is typical with an EML, there is a little bit of a cap. Below 700 mb from what I see quickly on the GFS and NAM soundings at MHT and BOS. We'll erase it eventually with lift, but a couple degrees more on dews would help too.

Kevin better start watering that mulch bed.

Archived