• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6/19-6/23 Severe Weather Risk

Jim Martin

Given the approach of steep mid level lapse rates with the EML plume from the west and looking at the dewpoints north of the warm front, I definitely think there will be a zone of instability/surface-based parcels north of the front that could expand the tornado risk given the strong vorticity available on the cool side of the boundary.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From NWS LOT Twitter: "hard to say for sure if lake breeze will be pushed offshore by this evening or not"

imo, the problem is the surface low track.  If it would track farther north, then there would be a better chance of flipping the winds or at least reducing the fetch.

imo, the problem is the surface low track.  If it would track farther north, then there would be a better chance of flipping the winds or at least reducing the fetch.

This^  I don't see how the north lakeshore doesn't flip. Either way, it's not that important, definitely looks like many heavily populated areas are going to be under the gun regardless

I see hooks

hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_8.png

This^  I don't see how the north lakeshore doesn't flip. Either way, it's not that important, definitely looks like many heavily populated areas are going to be under the gun regardless

I see hooks

hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_8.png

The 2 western streaks are definitely in or close enough to the surface based instability axis  :yikes:

post-14-0-68923100-1466623302_thumb.png

From the amount of shear building up right now in Illinois wouldn't be surprised to see a mesoscale discussion soon.

Shear has nothing really to do with an MCD or not. The biggest defining factor is whether initiation is close.

Definitely going to have a tornado with that southwestern most cell, just gotta hope the wf can stay far enough south to avoid the densely populated burbs

Agree hopefully staying south. The cell above it, the hook looking one is right IMBY. My gut feeling this afternoon has been growing stronger this area/southern dupage being primed as the warm front just might be knocking on the door close enough, with the lake backing off just enough

VADs at DVN and ILX are already pretty impressive, without the LLJ cranking yet. Good turning in the lowest 10KFT. Winds are still relatively weak below 5KFT, around 10-20kts, but that'll change in the coming hours.

Archived