joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6/19-6/23 Severe Weather Risk

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just catching up with the overnight guidance, boy did this thing pull a 2016 IMBY. Should have trusted my gut earlier in this thread instead of getting pulled in by the D2 moderate. I'd put money on the city being dropped to enhanced/slight with the next update. Surface WF quite far away and unlikely to make any real progress for quite some time.

We'll probably still see a respectable tornado or two in the DVN CWA but the most widespread severe will be the MCS that runs down I74 and into IN later into the evening.

most of the modeling yesterday had stuff festering in the area until at least 16z-17z

Oh, I thought the models concensus was that the storms would be here all day with basically no break and mets were reporting anywhere from 2 to 4 rounds of storms (even though we knew they'd go south)

Oh, I thought the models concensus was that the storms would be here basically all day with basically no break and mets were reporting anywhere from 2 to 4 rounds of storms (even though we knew they'd go south)

I think we're saying the same thing

It's definitely a good thing that we aren't seeing a well defined MCS at this point over IA push hard right

HRRR tried to smoke us on the last run but it has dews in the 60s here with onshore winds so it's a close call

The big question over here was where would the heavy band of rain along the edge of the cap set up overnight.  It ended up right over me.  I did not get the max (5+"), but I'm sitting at about 3.70" with a bit more to come.  There were a few small hail reports along the line early on, but it was mostly just heavy rain.

This is the third straight June in which I've had a rain event of at least 3.7".

I think we're saying the same thing

It's definitely a good thing that we aren't seeing a well defined MCS at this point over IA push hard right

HRRR tried to smoke us on the last run but it has dews in the 60s here with onshore winds so it's a close call

Yeah hahaha. Probably is good- Question tho: I thought earlier on people were saying there was going to be no lake influence? Is it because we are now predicted to be north of the wf?

Yeah hahaha. Probably is good- Question tho: I thought earlier on people were saying there was going to be no lake influence? Is it because we are now predicted to be north of the wf?

I don't see how we (me and you, not necessarily LOT in general) avoid some onshore flow later

HRRR flips onshore around 23z, pushing that back an hour or two would be ideal

I don't see how we (me and you, not necessarily LOT in general) avoid some onshore flow later

True but hopefully if the wf gets far up enough and things keep going right, we will see minimal onshore flow which won't completely kill anything right as it interects (yay for optimism haha).

Edit: Yeah 7pm is a little early for an ideal situation

Latest outlook now mentions possible Derecho after supercells grow upscale.

Yep and they say

"ONGOING STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO WEAKEN AS THEY SHIFT SEWD THIS

MORNING...ALLOWING THE CONVECTIVELY REINFORCED WARM FRONT TO BEGIN

TO MOVE NEWD IN RESPONSE TO A STRONG SWLY LLJ. BY MID-LATE AFTERNOON

THIS FRONT SHOULD EXTEND FROM A SFC LOW OVER ERN IA THROUGH EXTREME

NRN IL INTO NCNTRL IND THEN SEWD THROUGH OH AND WV."

The key issue seems to be when things will go linear and form that derecho.  Current meso shows nearly 600 m2.s2. helicity for both 0-1 and 0-3 km over Iowa and that will move eastward as will the surface 1003 mb low.  That level of helicity is quite concerning.and could serve to keep things discrete on its sw edge for a longer time than anticipated with tornadic cells.  Hope I'm wrong about this.  A derecho is bad enough.

Archived