joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6/19-6/23 Severe Weather Risk

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the CAMS from today are downright scary for portions of DVN and LOT for later tomorrow.  Some very serious looking helicity tracks on some of them.  

Just browsing around the guidance indicates that almost all of them initiate the "main show" later tomorrow afternoon along, or just north of the triple point.  Somewhere from the nose of Iowa, or up into far southwest WI.  Models are showing a fairly narrow battle ground area where the main show will be.  All models show deep moisture pooling along, and just south of the WF.  This sets up an extreme instability gradient which is oriented about parallel to the storm vectors.  A little ways north of the WF the boundary layer will be too stable to support tornadoes, and not all that far south of the WF the cap becomes a big problem.  Looks like initially we'll be dealing with one monster sup, or maybe two that initiates and feeds well as it rides the cape gradient east-southeast.  In time some additional cells will probably develop and congeal, and start growing a large MCS as it rakes east-southeast into Indiana.  The LLJ really ramps up after dark tomorrow night, and with strong winds above 60kts from 850 on up we may see a nice rear-inflow jet develop at some point.  Could really be quite the wind event for northern IN into western, or northwestern OH.  

I have to work till 4 tomorrow, so not sure if I'll be able to chase or not.  Right now I'm thinking the northwest corner of IL or extreme southwest WI might be the place to be for tors, but if the setup slows a little the 20 corridor between Waterloo and Dubuque would favor.  If WF gets held up even more than expected, then the threat would be a little further south more towards the 30 corridor.  

The 1.3km NAM fire WRF is scheduled to run over LOT at 00Z tonight...hopefully it provides some further insight for tomorrow. As it stands right now, the threat for QLCS tornados in IN/OH once the MCS forms is extremely high with helicity values over 500, MUCAPE nearing 2000, and most importantly, 0-1km shear nearing 50kts. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10% hatched tornado risk over the entire 45% wind risk area tonight.

The 1.3km NAM fire WRF is scheduled to run over LOT at 00Z tonight...hopefully it provides some further insight for tomorrow. As it stands right now, the threat for QLCS tornados in IN/OH once the MCS forms is extremely high with helicity values over 500, MUCAPE nearing 2000, and most importantly, 0-1km shear nearing 50kts. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10% hatched tornado risk over the entire 45% wind risk area tonight.

10% over all area, 10% hatched far E IA, N IL, and far W/NW IN. (15% hatched N/NW IL??)

EDIT: this is just my guess I thought up in less than 30 seconds.

This one never had a chance here.

It did for one or maybe two runs yesterday then it went back to the same ole' same ole'.

It wasn't for most of Michigan, with the exception of a few tornadoes for areas south of I-94.

We were in a slight risk, but no one was thinking what happened that night would transpire.

This is a pretty dynamic system though. I wouldn't be surprised if something did manage to graze us but trends aren't looking good at all for that to possibly happen.

My brain tells me south, my heart tells me north :)

This perfectly describes basically every severe setup I've experienced living in the city :)

(Long time lurker, have learned a lot from this group, so many thanks for that. Looking forward to following along with you all tomorrow.)

gotta admit you're right and just the other day I called him a genius for that reason. Still... Waste of a degree and bad for the scienc .

He is absolutely terrible for the science. Maybe if he would prove his "research" is real, people would change their tune about him. But for now? I think he is a disgrace to the chasing community.

People around here are in a bit of a tizzy about tomorrow, especially considering it's the one year anniversary of last year's tornado. Real ironic a similar situation looks to unfold. Some people's homes are still not rebuilt from last year, and I've noticed some people have PTSD now when it comes to storms who were affected with the last 2 CC tornadoes. Hopefully with whatever happens tomorrow and wherever, everyone stays safe.

Archived