joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 16th-17th Floodmageddon

eurojosh

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HRRR wants to pop discrete Thunderstorms out ahead over Central/Northern MD in the 4-6pm timeframe. However it looks like another day where HRRR could be way off, like it's showing Mid 90s for the I-81 corridor and Cumberland reaching 98. The line wants to get here around 8:00pm, looks unimpressive.

HRRR wants to pop discrete Thunderstorms out ahead over Central/Northern MD in the 4-6pm timeframe. However it looks like another day where HRRR could be way off, like it's showing Mid 90s for the I-81 corridor and Cumberland reaching 98. The line wants to get here around 8:00pm, looks unimpressive.

Can't remember the last time the HRRR was right.

No, it's not.  It's sunny here and hot as #$&@ already.  You guys to east will get to enjoy the storms that form overhead and east from this white-hot sauna.

Tough being on the edge but not sure what's up wth SPC lately. Seems like amateur hour over there this year.

Instability doesn't seem too impressive on any model locally.

Seems like now cast event. If we get any sustained clearing then all bets are off. EHN. Risk to the Potomac . Won't take much to expand that area. Just my 2 cents.

Brightening skies. 74/68

The highest CAPE runs the Potomac south and west. Temp inversion limiting instability to the north and east.

Could someone explain the process / mechanism by which a dying storm can produce a boundary?  Boundary consisting of what?  How would it hang around and trigger storms hours later?

You can go way more technical, but the idea is that there is a boundary between the undisturbed air and the air that has been modified by the prior storms.  Boundaries can stick around for a long time in certain situations, but I'm not sure this is one of them.  Like SPC said earlier, we really need to stick around or south of the (rather diffuse) warm front. 

4km NAM is similar to earlier.  Actually, very odd looking.  It really just dispenses with the idea of a linear MCS and just seems to focus convection with the large-scale features.  The HRRR is a more traditional MCS.  I'd side with the HRRR just because the NAM is such an oddity.  Plus, there probably isn't going to be 10" of rain in a couple of hours in Loudoun/MoCo.

edit - similar marine layer influence as earlier.  DCA low-mid 60s temps prior to the storms.

You can go way more technical, but the idea is that there is a boundary between the undisturbed air and the air that has been modified by the prior storms.  Boundaries can stick around for a long time in certain situations, but I'm not sure this is one of them.  Like SPC said earlier, we really need to stick around or south of the (rather diffuse) warm front. 

Any idea right now where that diffuse warm front is running?

CYA move perhaps?

Well nothing really changed overnight. So their moves from sub mrgl yesterday to enh today don't make a whole ton of sense. It's tough to say exactly how far northeast good instability will make it so it's probably worth leaving some breathing room. Although at the same time the general look is still for the complex to come in as instability is waning. So... I dunno.

Archived