• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

Made a real mistake last night, left the windows open when I went to bed. 65 degrees at midnight, 49 at 5am. I had the brutal "do I get out from under the blanket and close the window" dilemma.

Brutal day. Temps around 50 all day, with very breezy conditions. I live far enough from the lake that I should not have to deal with this in late April

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made a real mistake last night, left the windows open when I went to bed. 65 degrees at midnight, 49 at 5am. I had the brutal "do I get out from under the blanket and close the window" dilemma.

Brutal day. Temps around 50 all day, with very breezy conditions. I live far enough from the lake that I should not have to deal with this in late April .

That's always really hard to do - drag yourself out of bed to close the windows. I know - lol.

41° here right now. Heat had to come back on.

spring is probably the most beautiful season along with fall. really weird to see someone who actually hates it. 

move to Barrow!

you're a snowbird stuck in the south :(

after a long cold great lakes winter, anyone who hates Spring is questionable IMO.

Thats your opinion haha. Move to Barrow? NO THANKS. A treeless landscape is FAR from ideal for me. I like where I live. My hatred of spring has nothing to do with liking snow and everything to do with allergies. Afterall, I love summer, and snow and summer are two things that do not go together (I dislike humidty and extreme heat, but like everything else about summer). Every spring is an allergy nightmare for me and though I can tame it through meds and nasal sprays I cant beat it. And I have met many others who feel the same way. Once everything has bloomed and we are into summer I will once again be in a good mood. Allergies and feelings aside, beauty-wise I still say Fall is #1 and then winter.

Thats your opinion haha. Move to Barrow? NO THANKS. A treeless landscape is FAR from ideal for me. I like where I live. My hatred of spring has nothing to do with liking snow and everything to do with allergies. Afterall, I love summer, and snow and summer are two things that do not go together (I dislike humidty and extreme heat, but like everything else about summer). Every spring is an allergy nightmare for me and though I can tame it through meds and nasal sprays I cant beat it. And I have met many others who feel the same way. Once everything has bloomed and we are into summer I will once again be in a good mood. Allergies and feelings aside, beauty-wise I still say Fall is #1 and then winter.

For me I hate late summer and for the same reason - allergies. Ragweed

Was able to avoid that allergy for a week while visiting Washington last year.

About 43° at noon in late April - now here comes the cold rain. :raining:

I picked up 0.24" of rain from this morning's band of light rain, then late this evening I picked up another 0.39" along with a wee bit of pea size hail and some modest thunder.  Much of eastern Iowa has been dry this month, but I just went above avg.

Man you've had a decent amount of hail there the last year or so.  Haven't seen hail here in a few years.  Not complaining about that though lol.

Pretty decent little downpour right now, with some slow and lazy rumbles overhead.  Picked up 0.17" the last 10 mins.

EDIT:  Positive strike hit somewhere close just a bit after posting this, with a fairly impressive crash/concussion.

Like Geos ragweed in August through October is what gives me problems. Since we both live in lake breeze central, our only ideal to perfect non-winter climo tends to be latter May into June, when highs average in the 70s.

Yeah I really can't complain about our May's and June's at all. They haven't been hot lately. Even the first week of July can be quite comfortable.

0.20" of rain so far.

12 days in dec 2015 with highs 45 or above (nobody was whining on Facebitch then.)  Looks like around 20 45+ days this month.  Considering Dec avg temp is a good 20 degrees below april, this has been a rough month for near LM shore dwellers who like early spring warmth.  It's just the way it works in these parts along the lake. Gotta take the bad with the beautiful climate along the lake. 

12 days in dec 2015 with highs 45 or above (nobody was whining on Facebitch then.)  Looks like around 20 45+ days this month.  Considering Dec avg temp is a good 20 degrees below april, this has been a rough month for near LM shore dwellers who like early spring warmth.  It's just the way it works in these parts along the lake. Gotta take the bad with the beautiful climate along the lake. 

Well said.  :clap:

40° currently. Picked up 0.56" of rain last night - even a few rumbles.

FYP (granted, with a few brief exceptions).

I know you enjoy warm weather, which is obviously fine.  However, at least at ORD, the numbers don't support your claim that we've been in a cold period since August 2012.

ORD - since August 2012

- 10 months with a temp departure greater than +2.0F

- 10 months with a temp departure lower than -2.0F

- 24 months with a temp departure between -2.0F and +2.0F

Seems pretty average to me, with the typical up-and-down swings over a nearly 4-year period.  Sure, maybe it has been a bit cloudier than normal...but cloudy weather is typical in MI, correct?  So, whether it's 52% cloudy or 55% cloudy over a 12-month period (just making up the numbers for context)...does it really make that much of a difference?

If you think it has been "bad" recently, the Falls and Winters in the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s were consistently colder...with the notable exception of the 1982-83 Winter.  Sure, we've definitely had some wintry periods over the past decade at ORD...but only Winter 2013-14 was consistently wintry (cold temps, decent snow, and decent snow cover).  In 2014-15 - which everyone seems to think was a cold/snowy/great winter - December was a furnace and January was near normal.  In 2012-13, December was a furnace and January was warm.  And, obviously, we had no winter in 2015-16. 

Recent Falls have generally been near normal, with the exception of 2014 (colder) and 2015 (warmer).

I guess I don't understand why many folks have been harping on the perceived "general/persistent/cool NW flow" pattern over the past several years.  At ORD, the numbers don't really bear this out.  Again, I know the MI numbers could be a bit different...but I'm just using ORD because I'm more familiar with it. :)

Archived