• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

Yea, it was insane coming up to it. Saw a total of 0 fire crews as we passed, although we saw them further down the road headed towards the warehouse. Here's the video I took: https://twitter.com/IllinoisWedges/status/723314561571397633

It was a pretty big fire, it was the "The Room Place" furniture warehouse.  Went to 4 alarms, and got mutual aid from quite a few communities.  There was some video from Channel 7's helicopter earlier.  The roof was in, and it was just one huge cauldron of burning furniture.  Basically a "surround and drown" .  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was expecting more rain the last couple days but it did not transpire. Thunderstorms were absent as well. I have to say I'm a bit worried all the rains in the Plains are going to have a negative effect on lapse rates. You could argue they did last year.

The rain is actually beneficial in terms of not getting any positive feedback with dry conditions to our west. Also the high soil moisture is better for chasing prospects due to low LCL's and the dryline not mixing quickly east. Midlevel lapse rates were not as steep as is common last season because of the moisture at that level from the subtropical jet. Keeping the mid levels drier is important for a strong EML.

The rain is actually beneficial in terms of not getting any positive feedback with dry conditions to our west. Also the high soil moisture is better for chasing prospects due to low LCL's and the dryline not mixing quickly east. Midlevel lapse rates were not as steep as is common last season because of the moisture at that level from the subtropical jet. Keeping the mid levels drier is important for a strong EML.

It's better for the Plains but not us. We already lack that dry air aloft coming out of Mexico that the Plains get, moistening even more so isn't necessarily the best thing for the GL region. Still the warmth has been on our side all year so I'm bullish on severe chances this season

It's better for the Plains but not us. We already lack that dry air aloft coming out of Mexico that the Plains get, moistening even more so isn't necessarily the best thing for the GL region. Still the warmth has been on our side all year so I'm bullish on severe chances this season

We can still advect in dry air aloft. Some of your more prolific events in this region were because of the EML extending into the region.

classic hawkeye

:axe:

It should be a great weekend, with near 70 Saturday and 70s to near 80 Sunday and Monday... good for finishing my yard work (edging, grass seeding).  Next week's storm train should bring some interesting weather to everyone.  I'm not sure if we'll be able to get any severe up here, but I'm looking forward to following the stuff down south.

We can still advect in dry air aloft. Some of your more prolific events in this region were because of the EML extending into the region.

And the EML generation typically occurs west of the Plains in the higher terrain, so it's not as simple as wet Plains = bad severe prospects for us.

Cold already tonight as the sun heads down... 31 degrees. forecasted low of 22.

Pretty cool sat pic posted by MQT. 

With most of the clouds dissipating by mid-afternoon, we had a good view of the remaining snowpack across Upper Michigan. Only a few areas confined to the high terrain along Lake Superior have enough snow on the ground to clearly appear on satellite. This also highlights the locations that typically receive the most snowfall in Upper Michigan during a given winter.

61-62° with a persistent SE wind with quite a few mid and high level clouds. O well, still nice out.

Was 20 miles inland earlier and it was in the low 70s. The green up with the trees is so much further along than here. I have leaves starting to form on my birch, but that's it for leaves on trees. Some leaves on certain types of shrubs.

78, with hazy sun through the cirrus canopy.  Leaves on the trees are quickly growing.  Looks way different than just last weekend.

Farmers have been planting the last several days.  Should be a week or so, and we'll start to see the first sprouts of corn emerge in some fields.

Here too...explosion of leaves.

Archived