• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 4 Winter Storm Threat

RubiksDestroyer

FFC just hoisted WWAs for their CWA in NE GA.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
207 PM EST THU MAR 3 2016

...SLEET AND SNOW BEGINNING ACCUMULATING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA...

GAZ006>009-013>016-021>024-040300-
/O.NEW.KFFC.WW.Y.0010.160303T1907Z-160304T0300Z/
FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-PICKENS-DAWSON-LUMPKIN-WHITE-CHEROKEE-
FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DAHLONEGA...CLEVELAND...GAINESVILLE
207 PM EST THU MAR 3 2016

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS
EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND SLEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST GEORGIA...GENERALLY NORTH AND EAST OF A
LINE FROM ELLIJAY...TO CUMMING...TO HOMER.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND SLEET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO AN INCH...WITH HIGH AMOUNTS POSSIBLE IN
ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2000 FEET. ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED ON
ELEVATED AND GRASSY SURFACES.

* TIMING...THROUGH 10 PM THIS EVENING.

* IMPACTS...AS TEMPERATURES DROP...ROADS MAY BECOME
SLICK...ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

* WINDS...EAST AT 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE LOW 30S...EXCEPT UPPER 20S IN
THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

&&

$

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unbelievable. how could i had not had a clue this time lol - it is pouring snow here right now. lol - i had no idea there was a chance imby...just north of here. i guess i kissed winter goodbye too early when it was so warm haha

Been pouring snow here in gainesville for the past half hour...huge flakes..dusting to.about a half inch. Temp is 32/33 on the truck. I was hoping at best for a mix but didn't see it going over to all snow..especially since temps were so warm before started....surprise snows are the best

For those in NC, this storm will be rate dependant if you're on the edge...you guys will also have no sun to help with any accumulations. It's clear the storm has brought more cold air than forecasted. I think some of you may get a surprise.

I'm afraid that the heavy rates will stay to the south of where the 850's are cold enough.  The only place in NC I could see a good surprise would be the northern VA border counties north of Wake if the storm can get cranking fast enough before moving offshore.

Models often do terribly with surface temps in situations like this, and it looks like another case of that in NE GA today.  With heavy rates, surface temps rarely provide much of an issue if the mid-levels are okay, it seems.  I think the warm BL was fairly shallow, too.

I'm afraid that the heavy rates will stay to the south of where the 850's are cold enough.  The only place in NC I could see a good surprise would be the northern VA border counties north of Wake if the storm can get cranking fast enough before moving offshore.

Yeah, I don't think we're going to have much precip to work with, unfortunately.  Oh, well.  Looks like <0.1" is likely at this point, which won't do it other than maybe token flakes.

Been pouring snow here in gainesville for the past half hour...huge flakes..dusting to.about a half inch. Temp is 32/33 on the truck. I was hoping at best for a mix but didn't see it going over to all snow..especially since temps were so warm before started....surprise snows are the best

thats for sure - and this is a complete surprise for me, first time in many years lol.  i had no clue at all-just got home and its 31 with moderate snow and measured 1" on the deck LMAO talk about the shock of the year so far

its a very heavy, wet snow and is sticking everywhere - its gorgeous.  the roads are slushy as well - glad i came on home :snowing:

Archived