• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 4 Winter Storm Threat

RubiksDestroyer

thats for sure - and this is a complete surprise for me, first time in many years lol.  i had no clue at all-just got home and its 31 with moderate snow and measured 1" on the deck LMAO talk about the shock of the year so far

its a very heavy, wet snow and is sticking everywhere - its gorgeous.  the roads are slushy as well - glad i came on home :snowing:

For sure..and the best part is we didn't waste countless hours watching models lol. Its really impressive to see any accumulation at all since it was so warm and this is in the middle of the day in early march. Makes me wonder what it would be like here if it was night.  Hard to believe but it was 51 at home when I left around noon and we'll into the 40s here before it started to rain

Up to 1 1/2" now in Dahlonega GA.  Here are some pics.

Amazing pics...hard to believe lol. Puts me to shame but I'm not complaing lol

post-12-0-29036000-1457036591_thumb.jpg

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sure..and the best part is we didn't waste countless hours watching models lol. Its really impressive to see any accumulation at all since it was so warm and this is in the middle of the day in early march. Makes me wonder what it would be like here if it was night.  Hard to believe but it was 51 at home when I left around noon and we'll into the 40s here before it started to rain

Amazing pics...hard to believe lol. Puts me to shame but I'm not complaing lol

thats for sure haha - the last i heard was upper 40s and rain today and sunny with 60+ tomorrow. this was a blast out of the blue

first thing i knew about it when a co-worker said 'obviously you havent looked out the window recently have you' lol now its snowing with 1.5" and still coming down - what a day

edited to add: sister said it was 48 and rain in athens with snow here....now its in the upper 30s there. wild weather

NWS afternoon discussion out of Raleigh:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
AS OF 300 PM THURSDAY...

...A LIGHT WINTRY MIX POSSIBLE ACROSS THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT TONIGHT...

HIGH PRESSURE CURRENTLY CENTERED OVER THE DELMARVA IS SHIFTING
OFFSHORE THIS AFTERNOON. WINDS WILL CONTINUE TO BECOME MORE EAST-
SOUTHEASTERLY AND DEWPOINTS WILL RECOVER INTO THE UPPER 20S AND 30S.
IT IS WORTH NOTING THAT DEWPOINTS ARE SLIGHTLY LOWER
THAN FORECAST RIGHT NOW.
MEANWHILE...A LOW AMPLITUDE SHORTWAVE AND
ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW TRACKING THROUGH THE MID-SOUTH WILL TRACK
ACROSS AL/GA THIS EVENING AND TO THE NC COAST BY LATE TONIGHT. RAIN
IS CURRENTLY MOVING INTO UPSTATE SC...THOUGH IT WILL INITIALLY GO
TOWARD SATURATED THE DRY BOUNDARY LAYER AND SET UP A HYBRID CAD
AIRMASS. LIFT REALLY STARTS TO STRENGTHEN AFTER 21Z AS THE WARM
CONVEYOR BELT AND DEEPENING ISENTROPIC LIFT SHIFT OVERHEAD. THE
HEAVIEST QPF WILL FOCUS ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PIEDMONT TO THE COASTAL
PLAIN ALONG AND JUST NORTH OF THE SURFACE LOW...WITH ADDITIONAL
LIGHTER PRECIP EXPECTED TO BREAK OUT OVER THE PIEDMONT AS A
DEFORMATION BAND FORMS NORTHWEST OF THE PASSING LOW. LOW TEMPS
TONIGHT WILL BE IN THE 32-39 RANGE.

THE ONSET OF PRECIP MAY EVERY WELL COME IN FORM OF RAIN WITH SLEET
OR PARTIALLY MELTED SNOW MIXED IN THIS EVENING...MAINLY ACROSS THE
WESTERN PIEDMONT WHERE WET-BULB PROFILES ARE A BIT COOLER. AREAS
SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 64 WILL BE MUCH TOO WARM BELOW 5000 FT FOR ANY NON-
LIQUID PTYPES TONIGHT. CRITICAL THICKNESSES IN THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT
(AND WITHIN THE DEFORMATION BAND ARE GENERALLY IN THE 1300-1310M
(H10-H85) AND SUB-1540M (H85-H7)...WHICH SUPPORTS A MIX OF PTYPES.
THE BIGGEST QUESTIONS THAT STILL REMAIN...AND LEAD US TO REFRAIN
FROM A WINTER WX ADVISORY...ARE WHETHER OR NOT SNOW/SLEET WILL BE
THE PREDOMINATE PTYPE FOR A DECENT DURATION. MODELS SHOW PRETTY
RAPID DRYING ABOVE -10C AFTER 06Z...WHICH WILL SHUT OFF THE THE
MIXING OF SNOW. ALSO...WETBULB TEMPS ARE PROGGED TO REMAIN ABOVE
FREEZING THROUGH THE EVENT...SO SNOW SHOULD NOT READILY
ACCUMULATE...EXCEPT MAYBE ON ELEVATED SURFACES. FINALLY...THE
LATEST HRRR HAS SHIFTED THE NORTHWEST EDGE OF THE PRECIP SHIELD TO
THE EAST...A TREND ALSO NOTED IN THE 12Z WRF-ARW.

CONCERNS FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW ARE 1)MODELS UNDERDOING PRECIP RATES
WHERE THERMAL PROFILES ARE MARGINAL AND 2) DRIER LOW-LEVEL AIR OVER
EAST-CENTRAL VA COULD BE TAPPED THIS EVENING AS WINDS SWING BACK TO
NORTH-NORTHEASTERLY IN RESPONSE TO THE SURFACE LOW ALONG THE
COAST...CREATING LOWER WETBULB VALUES.

WITH ALL OF THIS IN MIND...CONFIDENCE IN GREATER THAN 1 INCH OF SNOW
AND/OR TRAVEL IMPACTS IS TOO LOW TO ISSUE AN ADVISORY

thats for sure haha - the last i heard was upper 40s and rain today and sunny with 60+ tomorrow. this was a blast out of the blue

first thing i knew about it when a co-worker said 'obviously you havent looked out the window recently have you' lol now its snowing with 1.5" and still coming down - what a day

edited to add: sister said it was 48 and rain in athens with snow here....now its in the upper 30s there. wild weather

Lol this is one of those you probably remember for a long time. l Have huge half dollar size flakes now here...biggest yet. Beautiful. Back home its in the low 40s. BTW Dalton has been mostly rain but they reported thundersnow around 12:30 :o

Lol this is one of those you probably remember for a long time. l Have huge half dollar size flakes now here...biggest yet. Beautiful. Back home its in the low 40s. BTW Dalton has been mostly rain but they reported thundersnow around 12:30 :o

i know, right? this is the "good old fashion" surprise snow.  huge snowflakes here too - quarter to half dollar size and its still pouring and pushing 2"

as warm as its been - and is supposed to be next week - this is mind boggling - and its during the day to enjoy

Good for you guys! 

BTW....34 and rain snow mix in Easley.  Temp was 46 at 1230.  Don't know if we get the dynamic rates here in the upstate that you guys got in GA.  but we'll see.  Still nice just to see flakes falling!

Winter in SE is like my golf game.  I suck for 17 holes and swear I'll never play again and then I get a surprise birdie on 18 and I'm looking forward to the next tee time

Same here and still all snow which is a good sign for you. 

thats awesome!! and yes it is lol - i am surprised how heavy its been this afternoon - not only a surprise snow but falling heavily and a good accumulation. this is a rare treat - glad its a widespread one so  a lot in nga are getting in the action. 

Looks like you guys will come out the winners. We have about 3/4 of an inch but just can't keep the heavy rates.

Bummer man.  I thought somewhere in your area was going to jackpot while I got my cold rain.  It still can't believe my accumulation being that I have yet to hit freezing and probably won't.

thats awesome!! and yes it is lol - i am surprised how heavy its been this afternoon - not only a surprise snow but falling heavily and a good accumulation. this is a rare treat - glad its a widespread one so  a lot in nga are getting in the action. 

I just got darker over here and the flakes are getting larger again.  I'm still pinching myself.

Bummer man.  I thought somewhere in your area was going to jackpot while I got my cold rain.  It still can't believe my accumulation being that I have yet to hit freezing and probably won't.

I just got darker over here and the flakes are getting larger again.  I'm still pinching myself.

lmao - you arent the only one.  radar looks great for some more snow - am seeing darker bands in the image heading this way yay.  its snowing to beat the band here right now.  it did get below freezing here but barely - hanging in there about 31*

Good for you man!  Been a crazy winter.  Cash in while you can!

Slop is switching over to big fat floaters here in Clemson. Beautiful to see. Why can't "major" winter storm bust on the good side? It seems like all of these small events bust in our favor, and the big events always bust on the rainy/warm side?

Archived