joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kind of crazy being on the 12" line when just a week ago we were on the rain snow line with the last storm. Much better line to be riding, emotionally.

I am noticing that the 18z GFS gives Toledo 8" in just 6 hours and similarly 6.2" at DET airport, and 7.5" in 6 hours in Toronto. This type of snow rate is not too normal without LES or orographic snow. So this could be overdone a bit.

you were 8-12" earlier, right? Just a little more hesitant to go towards that high end but there's at least a chance.

Yeah I'm thinking 12" is gonna be tough now that model solutions seem to be stabilizing.

On another note, grass is covered up in North York. Been pinging for the past hour almost.

Why does the band get pushed south in MI compared to WI? It looks like the band may still be in the process of moving through farther north in later hours though?

Convergence aloft is not in a straight line I guess. Maybe a Met can chime in on that.

You want convergence...divergence isn't good unless you're talking about higher up in the atmosphere.

Right but I can't remember if it's better to be north or south of the divergence?  Does the drop off between the two result in higher qpf amounts, whether it's summer or winter?  I thought north was better but I could be way wrong.

I expected this to be between Milwaukee and Chicago, given rain/ice/mix/snow showings on the HRRR

Archived