joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times has the NAM been right, though? I'll go with a final call of 8-10" for Toronto, 8" downtown, 10" in the suburbs.

Its 6z run was showing the max snow down around Niagara. It's worthless, especially with that suspect deepening. Unless some other models come aboard in putting the max to our north, I'm not buying it.

We've seen two storms in a row where a few hi res models get caught up in over-deepening a storm only to come back to earth 8-12 hours later.

Ripping hard out there now. Flakes must be 3/4" across.

The friendly wager is on. I bet you get close with 4" or 5", but I'm not expecting much more than 1.5" of dreck down here.

Still largely sleet here FYI. Believe it's rain in Rockford. 

Alright then!

Liquid in Rockford! I guess that cold air concentrated closer to the lake than the models saw.

Wow at the 0z NAM, look at that huge area of 6-12" in Mich....... almost back to the weenie runs a couple days ago lol, lock it in please, I would totally take it's 9" or so here :D

BAHAHA....NAM has 1 foot amounts and then a little bubble of only 5 inches in the midst of it....right where I'm located....

Its 6z run was showing the max snow down around Niagara. It's worthless, especially with that suspect deepening. Unless some other models come aboard in putting the max to our north, I'm not buying it.

We've seen two storms in a row where a few hi res models get caught up in over-deepening a storm only to come back to earth 8-12 hours later.

It could be right with the overall wetter / stronger trend. If the 500mb trough comes in as sharp as it progs, there will that brief window for this system to rapidly cut northward and deepen before meandering eastward. That, in turn, could lead to borderline explosive development of the deformation axis and some fairly impressive precipitation rates.

That said, the NAM is probably being the NAM though in overdoing the WAA and deepening.

It could be right with the overall wetter / stronger trend. If the 500mb comes in a sharp as it progs, there will that brief window for this system to rapidly cut northward and deepen before meandering eastward. That, in turn, could lead to borderline explosive development of the deformation axis.

That said, the NAM is probably being the NAM though in overdoing the WAA and deepening.

Yes, it could have the right idea but just may have taken it too far with that spurious deepening.

Even the left-turn happy RAP keeps the sfc low basically along the I-70 corridor in OH and then into NW PA.

Yes, it could have the right idea but just may have taken it too far with that spurious deepening.

Even the left-turn happy RAP keeps the sfc low basically along the I-70 corridor in OH and then into NW PA.

Are you sure about the bolded?

From what I can see on Twisterdata, the 00z RAP seems to be strikingly similar to the 00z NAM.

That said, the RAP almost always corrects back towards a SE / colder / weaker solution with time.

Dual pol says don't get too excited...

Yup. Geos is in it to win it, he just has to hope once the current firehose passes that the band doesn't move north.

For the rest of us, precip type looks to hold for awhile according to radar, barring especially heavy returns like what homedis is currently under.

There are a couple of RAPs. I'm looking at the 23z run from this website...

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/

Meh, I'm not going to fret over it either way for the time being.

The trends overall are positive, as far as this now evolving into a storm with decent to impressive cold sector precipitation. Even the NAM's thermals are still at that point where it would only take for it being a degree or two off for a favorable outcome. 

Meh, I'm not going to fret over it either way for now.

The trends overall are positive, as far as this now evolving into a storm with decent to impressive cold sector precipitation. Even the NAM's thermals are still at that point where it would only take for it being a degree or two off for a favorable outcome. 

RGEM seems to give the NAM some merit. Won't deny it. Doesn't have the same axis of heavy snowfall displaced well to the NW of the sfc low along the former arctic front like the NAM does.

for some reason im affraid of being  a tad to far south. just a gut feeling and I havent spent but an hr all day on this.

im just always afraid for that in these setups where you think your good and 30 miles or so north more is.  if i end up being to far south that maybe bolds well for a stronger primary for out east.

You've already said 8-12" in Toronto. Which is it?

? I said 9" earlier this afternoon. His 8" downtown to 10" in suburbs seems reasonable to me.

I mentioned 8-12" yesterday and said it wasn't my call, but was my range based on the models. I've only since narrowed that range.

Archived