• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

Hell 6" is something big in March. Also would be the biggest storm of the year if we did hit 6" or better. The super storm amounts from last week were smoke and mirrors.

DTW had 6.0" on Nov 21st but I have yet to have a 6" storm this year. This winter has definitely had its share of wintry bouts despite strong nino, but my largest has been 4.9" (also Nov 21). This after a 16.5" storm last year and I think 7 or 8 warning criteria snowstorms in 2013-14.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right but I can't remember if it's better to be north or south of the divergence?  Does the drop off between the two result in higher qpf amounts, whether it's summer or winter?  I thought north was better but I could be way wrong.

I expected this to be between Milwaukee and Chicago, given rain/ice/mix/snow showings on the HRRR

I think you want to be just north of the divergence zone. 

Here's a f-gen map.

I would image on how to read this is your looking for the band just north of the purple shaded area.

rap700fronto.20160229.23.gif

When is the storm forecast to be at its most intense? Overnight into Wednesday? I think many in Toronto might be surprised by just how much snow falls, if these model predictions pan out.

I dunno. Farnell on Global was hitting the message pretty hard.

Heaviest snow should be tomorrow evening to about midnight before slowly winding down.

I think if you follow the 850mb fronto you will get a good sense of where the good band is going to set up.

Yeah first set of blue dashed lines.

You can see it on radar along US 20 in IL.

State line focused event is my call.

98ft.gif?1456791892553

Yeah first set of blue dashed lines.

You can see it on radar along US 20 in IL.

State line focused event is my call.

98ft.gif?1456791892553

I think that's still a good call. Latest forecast soundings are impressive overnight using RFD with very strong lift and steep midlevel lapse rates. Still at the office and we think the RAP/HRRR are unrealistically low with precip over northern IL predawn into early AM hours given magnitude of forcing from next wave and still good fgen over the area as well as column being saturated. The best overlap on 18z NAM of fgen and saturated negative epv (slantwise instability) above it on a cross section from southern WI to I-88 corridor is right in northern tier of counties/far southern WI.

I think that's still a good call. Latest forecast soundings are impressive overnight using RFD with very strong lift and steep midlevel lapse rates. Still at the office and we think the RAP/HRRR are unrealistically low with precip over northern IL predawn into early AM hours given magnitude of forcing from next wave and still good fgen over the area as well as column being saturated. The best overlap on 18z NAM of fgen and saturated negative epv (slantwise instability) above it on a cross section from southern WI to I-88 corridor is right in northern tier of counties/far southern WI.

I swear I just saw lightning outside... Im definitely going crazy

long day today with monday work and also finalizing the details for my fathers retirement day and party tomorrow night. so yeah im behind.. hopefully things still looking good for those invested. hope im not too north or too south  of the goods lol..these are nerve wracking watching radar... I liked where we stood the last two days..I also tend to like to be north of where you would have thought the good band would have set up.

NAM reverting to its 12z solution. What a piece of garbage.

huh...at 18 it looks like the lowest closed contour it has is 1008mb, then 3 hours later at 21 it's closed of a 1000mb contour, which gets it closer to its 18z solution re: depth. That's odd.

Yeah, strange evolution.

It's a tick weaker/drier than the 18z run, yet it's also a tick warmer/NW.

Archived