• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

You know, I haven't even looked into that. Cursory look suggests it'd be cold enough, at least initially.

Mesoscale models off of BUF's website not indicating much. Guessing inversion heights are too low or airmass is too dry. Still something to keep an eye on.

Lake temperatures around +5, going to need 850s around -5 to -10 and we should be able to achieve that for most of the easterly wind portion of the event.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lake enhancement in hamilton east more than toronto imo. The wind during the majority of the storm is ne to nnw. How does toronto get lake enhancement with that?

The start of the storm has easterly winds. Wouldn't be surprised to pick up an inch or so of extra snow.

I do believe the 6-7" calls are too low for this one. But given the winter I understand the conservativism.

thinking maybe a quick dusting in the weenie band, followed by light sleet with the main fgen over MKE, and then a quick inch or so of snow as the main upper air disturbance moves through tomorrow morning

That's been my grid forecast all along. Midway area is progged for a light mix.

Seems to agree with the EURO. Pretty good consensus for the 0.6"-0.8" range, GGEM is just way too wet unfortunately.

If the CCB ends up more robust as modelled on some previous runs then it could be correct. At the moment, the vast majority of guidance waits a little longer for it to intensify so the heaviest snows are displaced SE. Floor of ~5" IMO.

HRRR doesn't even have an inch for Geos by 9z tuesday

and not much more to come after that

These HRRR runs you're posting have got me feeling like the current warnings aren't going to work out anywhere in IL. However, I do recall you riding some of these amped hi-res runs with the event last week, only to wake up early Thursday, bid congrats to the Euro and other flatter models, and get on with your day.

Not saying either will happen (and I've been feeling Wisconsin takes this one for awhile), but you're putting a lot of stock in those Rapid Refresh runs right now.

These HRRR runs you're posting have got me feeling like the current warnings aren't going to work out anywhere in IL. However, I do recall you riding some of these amped hi-res runs with the event last week, only to wake up early Thursday, bid congrats to the Euro and other flatter models, and get on with your day.

Not saying either will happen (and I've been feeling Wisconsin takes this one for awhile), but you're putting a lot of stock in those Rapid Refresh runs right now.

Good points.

Archived