• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

Bring it. Still feel the core of the band will lift into the first tier of southern WI counties for the longest period. Do think we both might be good for a few quick inches.

I still don't know where UMB WX is located... my 7 month old daughter keeps me from dropping into the board as much as I'd like. I'm blaming her.

On Racine's north end to be exact.  :lmao:  at the last part.

I think you're good for more than a couple inches usually these bands train over the same areas.

GFS

acckucherasnowmw.png

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-1345-0-06145000-1456760656_thumb.jp

Pretty amazing how the orientation and breadth of the snow axis has changed so dramatically over the past four days and any snow output has come to rely entirely on that frontogenesis band... winter of 2015-2016 in a nutshell. Placement, at least locally, looks to be pretty close, but the cause of the snowfall (defo zone vs narrow fronto band) totally flip-flopped.

attachicon.gifWinter15-16.jpg

Pretty amazing how the orientation and breadth of the snow axis has changed so dramatically over the past four days and any snow output has come to rely entirely on that frontogenesis band... winter of 2015-2016 in a nutshell. Placement, at least locally, looks to be pretty close, but the cause of the snowfall (defo zone vs narrow fronto band) totally flip-flopped.

Bingo - great post. 

The theme of this winter for the MW/OV in general is very little snow...and when it does snow, it's poorly modeled and inevitably ends up falling over an incredibly small area...and even then, it melts a few days later.  Sure, it's easy to blame the strong El Nino...but I would argue it has been much worse than imagined, especially as some were forecasting a "decent" winter by El Nino standards.

I'm working winter weather desk at LOT today. Here's a plot of 850 mb frontogenesis at 08z tonight from the 15z RAP. Definitely farther south than 12z NAM and even GFS with placement of fgen band. At least our northern tier of counties is gonna get smoked tonight and possibly I-88 and north if RAP is right.

d754c7d61c3ec17cb5f79173e240c20f.jpg

I'm working winter weather desk at LOT today. Here's a plot of 850 mb frontogenesis at 08z tonight from the 15z RAP. Definitely farther south than 12z NAM and even GFS with placement of fgen band. At least our northern tier of counties is gonna get smoked tonight and possibly I-88 and north if RAP is right.

Out of curiosity, what do you think about the IP/ZR threat for Chicago and south of I-88?

Do you think NWS will eventually add Cook County (for the far northern portion) and the second tier of northernmost counties to the WSWarning if more models look like the RAP/that scenario works out?

Muy interesante. Basically two counties wide. Does it remain pretty stationary during the event or lift north to Milwaukee?

Loving the cell phone pic of your monitor at the office - great to have you and your input on this board!

Muy interesante. Basically two counties wide. Does it remain pretty stationary during the event or lift north to Milwaukee?

Loving the cell phone pic of your monitor at the office - great to have you and your input on this board!

RAP has it nearly stationary with maxed out values from 5-9z and that's as far out as it goes on AWIPS. Undulates south at times.

the p-type maps on the HRRR are weird, you actually switch to IP as 2M temps drop into the upper 20s

HRRRCHI_prec_ptype_012.png

HRRRCHI_sfc_temp_012.png

LOL. I agree, I don't really think most of the short range models are handling p-type well thus far, they seem inconsistent and weird. I'm mainly looking at them for placement. 

That is one wide band RC. 

Will be posting observations tonight as long as I can stay awake.  :thumbsup:

You can see the front up by Manitowoc, WI right now. 20s in back of it.

I think that precip is likely to be fairly light south of the fgen band due to subsidence. With that being said, 925 mb temps get very cold so I'm thinking sleet is more likely.

Temp profiles definitely looked more like sleet than freezing rain for Chicago when I looked at prior runs in BUFKIT.  The southern fringes could be questionable, especially if enough mid level drying occurs and hurts flake production, but should be very little precip anyway.

I'm curious what happens tomorrow morning though as another round of forcing swings through.  Could be a zone from near the city and south where it's the kitchen sink.

Archived