• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12th/13th possible ENC/CNC Event

84 Hour NAM

I wouldn't be surprised if this is only a  2-3" event,  but with how lousy the models have handled these last few storms QPF wise especially and the tendency of these type of systems to over perform ( this based on my experiences living my entire 43 yrs in Pitt Co) I have a fair bit of optimism that DT's map might be closer than modeling would appear to indicate.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disclaimer that I'm not in any way suggesting this would happen bit this is alot like the xmas 1989 storm. We were forecast to get small amount and then got thumped. Too bad busts like that never happen anymore.

Also back in 2008 or 2009 there was a setup real close to this that dumps 2-4" at PGV but had a band of 4-8" right along Hwy 17 and that was suppose to be a dusting -inch as well.....so was the 2014 system that gave us 4" the day before the main valentine day bust storm...

This is looking to be a lot like what happened this past Sunday where there were dozens of accidents in a couple hours in JoCo alone in an hour's time... and that was on a low traffic day.

I think I may plan on taking the 'ole Ten-Ten/Penny/Old South/Yates Mill backroads home.

Unless something changes overnight, I've already let the wife know that we'll be doing her physical therapy session at home tomorrow. Would hate to go out and have roads get worse while we're at therapy. It's not a long drive, but the first 3 miles are on untreated roads.

Also back in 2008 or 2009 there was a setup real close to this that dumps 2-4" at PGV but had a band of 4-8" right along Hwy 17 and that was suppose to be a dusting -inch as well.....so was the 2014 system that gave us 4" the day before the main valentine day bust storm...

Yep - that was in January 2009.  I was living in Falkland at the time, and I remember we were supposed to get a trace.  I think we ended up with about 3-4 inches.  We'll be in that neighborhood tomorrow to visit parents so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this overperforms. 

Am going into this expecting a dusting, so anything more will be cake.

Man that's a good expectation.  It's so sad when we have to be happy with a dusting of snow.  Like expecting an inch is somehow so preposterous that we should be happy with a dusting.  But it is amazing how hard it is anymore just to get an inch of snow here.  We have to hope for a stupid clipper to give us a dusting.

With latest model runs even in pgv I would be concerned. Maybe an inch at best for pgv.

I promise you guys we will watch 3/4ths of this qpf moisten the atmosphere

Models take that into account though so if the models show .15" that's after saturation.....about the only thing I am certain is that the way this plays out is most likely poorly modeled and it wont be until the surface features get going that we get a clue as to which of these runs are the closest....

Models take that into account though so if the models show .15" that's after saturation.....about the only thing I am certain is that the way this plays out is most likely poorly modeled and it wont be until the surface features get going that we get a clue as to which of these runs are the closest....

That's very true. One reason these systems are so boom or bust is because even a little bit stronger lp than modeled and that juices up the system a lot. HRRR and rap will give us a better idea I would think

Archived