• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12th/13th possible ENC/CNC Event

84 Hour NAM

my expectation for this one for rdu is some light snow showers thru the day friday, no accumulation but nice to look at.

That's the best bet (snow showers, no accumulation). Of course it could over perform some but hoping for that usually ends in disappointment. We also have a couple more model run. If we could get the qpf < .1 it could be a nice minor event.    

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the best bet (snow showers, no accumulation). Of course it could over perform some but hoping for that usually ends in disappointment. We also have a couple more model run. If we could get the qpf < .1 it could be a nice minor event.    

For a strung out clipper, traveling due east across the northern half of the state, occasional snow showers would be a HUGE win.

I am at .15-.20" with a 12:1 ratio that is 2",you guys would get a solid dusting as is and typically they almost always trend wetter and farther NW with the precip as we get closer....I could see Fayetteville up to RDU over the RWI getting 1-2" and 3-5" down this way towards the coast if that normal trend takes place....west of there though there will be a sharp cutoff I suspect....

The coastal redevelopment is actually what gives those in the east a chance, not the clipper energy itself.

Clipper has shown moisture for RDU.  That's what I was talking about.  I think snow showers for RDU would be on the generous side for our area.  Partly cloudy with flurries is probably more likely.

Farther east, I am not sure why a surface low spins up.  I don't understand why the models are doing that.  This is not a particularly vigorous clipper, and there is no real ridging out ahead of it.  Maybe it will spin one up anyway.  I hope the eastern sections get something, though!

Clipper has shown moisture for RDU.  That's what I was talking about.  I think snow showers for RDU would be on the generous side for our area.  Partly cloudy with flurries is probably more likely.

Farther east, I am not sure why a surface low spins up.  I don't understand why the models are doing that.  This is not a particularly vigorous clipper, and there is no real ridging out ahead of it.  Maybe it will spin one up anyway.  I hope the eastern sections get something, though!

I think a lot of the initial moisture would be from warm air advection as the clipper and then much colder air spills in.

And inner banks. It makes it as far west as Kinston-Washington-Edenton

At this point as long as the models keep the general idea of a low off the coast I am happy, its likely the best chance I have of seeing accumulating snowfall so far this winter. I have lived here my entire life and this type of setup actually works out for us a lot of the time, weaker lows popping 50-75 miles off ILM headed NE with strong cold air working in pays off a lot of the time. The progression is the same every time too, poorly modeled, NWS will go with a WWA for Friday mention up to a inch of accumulation and then as the event unfolds have to throw a quickie warning for 3-5" as the low trends stronger. I have seen this happen many times. here we either get low balled and over perform on snow totals or they go big and the storm goes bust.....

edit to add I am not saying we get 3-5" only that I would not be surprised to see that outcome regardless of what the models show leading up to it,....

This event IF there ends up being a event will most likely be poorly modeled, especially in regards to low strength and track etc....so while I would love to see all the models honking a hit I would also be nervous if that was the case as whenever its a "sure" thing for us it almost always under performs or doesn't happen at all....The overall setup is one of the ones I favor for us getting a "surprise" 1-3" event....its still around 36 hrs out so lets see what happens....

Archived