Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8th-9th Obs/Discussion Thread

mappy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if sarcasm or serious.

ETA: you called for c-2" for you. I don't see how that can bust.

Anyway, hi res NAM radar depiction doesn't look much like reality... looking for some good news here.

I called for 2-3"....I guess it is still possible, but ground truth and short term guidance are awful....radar looks so-so....

The other night has many spooked. Tonight, though similar in some respects, has more going for it.

The thing that makes it tough is its not a radar tracking type of event. You can't extrapolate motion and things like that. It's convective and things will blossom and band where nothing exists. With winter wx we're used to watching it move in from distance. You won't get a whole lotta that with this one. It's why it's super hard to figure out even at it happens. We don't get inv t's very often at all. But folks to our north have experienced the weirdness enough to know that you just don't know until it's happening

The thing that makes it tough is its not a radar tracking type of event. You can't extrapolate motion and things like that. It's convective and things will blossom and band where nothing exists. With winter wx we're used to watching it move in from distance. You won't get a whole lotta that with this one. It's why it's super hard to figure out even at it happens. We don't get inv t's very often at all. But folks to our north have experienced the weirdness enough to know that you just don't know until it's happening

I'm trying to figure out why the Wunderground radar linked to this site is switching the rain to snow to our east. The Wunderground radar is usually pretty accurate so I can't figure it out. I'm referring to the 2nd one down.

http://www.marylandwx.com/radar-data/

Yep, which is exactly why I'm not panicking. I've seen enough of these to know they will throw a couple of surprises our way. It is a low expectations game. High risk, high reward. Just sit back, take a deep breath, and let this unfold, everyone.

I've never seen so many extreme solutions from all the models at one point or another with this storm. Just crazy. I mean we can put a man on the moon and....awhh, never mind.

Archived