• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

Not sure what you mean but the incoming trough that boots the first storm is just so broad and flat, especially initially, I'm not sure how it could end up pulling the first storm in super meaningfully. I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up a little north/closer in the end but not booting it is going to be tough given the wind flow around the trough.

As the trough gets here and kicks up the second low (the one people are into for now, or were into before it starts failing) doesn't have a great shot either because much of the weight of the trough is still at the base and backside. If it looked like it does at ~96 around ~78 I'd like it more.  I'm just very unconvinced anything we've seen has meant a whole lot as far as the end result for us at the sfc. My guess is we're starting to move into the answer which generally isn't a great one.

I have no idea if this has any merit, but yesterday at this same time it was as if the low heights in Quebec seemingly carried the se vortex right on out with it.  Now it seems the low in Quebec is outrunning the one in the southeast and it gets left behind.  Again, no idea if that interaction actually ever existed.

It would seem that slowing down that second vortex would be our best shot.  Don't know if that is a reasonable possibility or not.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm cool with what the GFS is showing   :whistle:

lol, yea from a purely MOBY point of view its a decent run for us but I am NOT kicking that hornets nest in here and it was still a step in the wrong direction even up here so I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from this run either way.  Plus I would always rather a more region wide impact event, not selfish with my snow as long as I get mine.  Also feel that way with other regions but I know Matt would smack me for saying such blasphemy. 

exactly, but todays system did absolutely nothing for me, I am over 100 miles west of you.  I think people are seeing different things based on location, understandably.  Where I am the miller b is probably my only hope.  If I lived in NJ or the eastern shore I would be way more interested in that coastal low.

Total agree.  I have to keep that in mind on when I post again.  

lol, yea from a purely MOBY point of view its a decent run for us but I am NOT kicking that hornets nest in here and it was still a step in the wrong direction even up here so I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from this run either way.  Plus I would always rather a more region wide impact event, not selfish with my snow as long as I get mine.  Also feel that way with other regions but I know Matt would smack me for saying such blasphemy. 

I was gonna say, pffft, that isn't allowed around here. Its IMBY snow or nothing. :)

I have no idea if this has any merit, but yesterday at this same time it was as if the low heights in Quebec seemingly carried the se vortex right on out with it.  Now it seems the low in Quebec is outrunning the one in the southeast and it gets left behind.  Again, no idea if that interaction actually ever existed.

It would seem that slowing down that second vortex would be our best shot.  Don't know if that is a reasonable possibility or not.

Yes, for the Mon night/Tue a slower trough is probably better. If nothing else it would give itself some time to orient in a more conducive way for us. I haven't really tracked its change in speed etc though to be honest.

You guys realize the globals have slowed down that southern low significantly. The NAM even gives coastal SNE some snow from it. Yesterday it was progged to be WAY OTS. Meteorologically you're just not going to see 2 deep lows that close to each other. So since that 1st low is still near SNE when the 2nd one is getting its act together, it just doesn't give the 2nd one room to develop. Screwjob really. Miss the 1st one, which then screws us for the 2nd one. 

Both the GFS and GGEM look pretty bad.  The former has most of its better precip back towards Winchester and points west and keeps DC pretty warm through much of Monday night.  We do get some snow but only light snow.   The broad nature fo the trough and the proximity to the southeast low make it hard to really get any rapid deepening and moisture from the Atlantic. 

Think the 1st low is basically as West as it will go... don't see it making it much closer to the coast - as others have pointed out... so if future runs correct to the East a bit, things will (should) improve with the 2nd low. A lot of moving pieces... at least it seems SnowTV of some sort is likely. Not going to have my hopes up for anything big.

The link between storm 1 and 2 is obvious, and the trend right now is undeniable, but there is still a LOT of time for this to trend in either direction.  Also time for models to key on the second system a bit more.  Perhaps it has a little room to develop beyond what is currently being shown from this far out even with the current spacing, but not much.  This was always a lower probability, and in the back of my mind I kept thinking this is the kind of thing that will morph and change its look from range and so being in a "good spot" 4-5 days out might not be a good thing.

The link between storm 1 and 2 is obvious, and the trend right now is undeniable, but there is still a LOT of time for this to trend in either direction.  Also time for models to key on the second system a bit more.  Perhaps it has a little room to develop beyond what is currently being shown from this far out even with the current spacing, but not much.  This was always a lower probability, and in the back of my mind I kept thinking this is the kind of thing that will morph and change its look from range and so being in a "good spot" 4-5 days out might not be a good thing.

What mechanisms can act to slow the second trough down and/or speed up the first one?  And what might the models be missing that could lead to a different outcome?

Archived