CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What mechanisms can act to slow the second trough down and/or speed up the first one?  And what might the models be missing that could lead to a different outcome?

The speed of the jet stream is your answer to number one combined with the amount of digging and such.  Its all wave theory stuff there.  More digging could cause slower eastward movement.  The other issue and perhaps our better bet is to hope that perhaps the models are washing things out a bit too much with this thing embedded in such a convoluted setup.  Models could be not seeing the energy involved correctly.  A small change in that amplitude of that secondary can have a significant impact on our outcome, especially if we are just rooting to get something decent like a 3-6" event like I am. 

The fact our normally progressive Navgem continues to key in on the SE Coast low to be the main show and come farther North should raise some eyebrows. Havent seen 12z yet tho. It has been very consistent in not sending it OTS.

Just took a look at that navgem, usually I dont, and your right it does key on the first system totally, but still not sure what your seeing.  Its by far the furthest west of anything with that system and still it does absolutely NOTHING for anyone in this area.  It helps crush eastern New England for sure, and perhaps gets something half decent into NYC and fringes Philly, but its the most amped with that of absolutely anything and it still doesn't even come close to affecting DC/Balt and points west.  It does though show the worst possible scenario where that first storm completely squashes the second system to nothing and we dont even get a flake around here from either. 

Just took a look at that navgem, usually I dont, and your right it does key on the first system totally, but still not sure what your seeing. Its by far the furthest west of anything with that system and still it does absolutely NOTHING for anyone in this area. It helps crush eastern New England for sure, and perhaps gets something half decent into NYC and fringes Philly, but its the most amped with that of absolutely anything and it still doesn't even come close to affecting DC/Balt and points west. It does though show the worst possible scenario where that first storm completely squashes the second system to nothing and we dont even get a flake around here from either.

I'm merely stating the Navgem is by far usually our most progressive model. I'm also stating the fact that every coastal storm this winter has trended N and W. I'm not suggesting a massive coastal snowstorm from NC-ME....I hope I didn't imply this. But an eyebrow should be raised to storm 1 (the SE Coast slp) in regards to what I stated above. The JMA is a bit farther N and W at 12z now too fwiw in response to the trof in the Midwest being a bit slower and digging a bit farther West. And since I'm notorious for looking at the CRAS, I may as well post what it shows for storm 1 for kicks and giggles. Again, don't simply write off this system as being a harmless OTS entity:

a0339b807db754c87a6b9e2c875b79ac.jpg

Why would it matter if it is "on shore" or not?

I wasn't sure if it might interact with land differently than anticipated, or if there might be better data. 

I wonder why sometimes we see marked differences from one day to the next.  The differences between yesterdays gfs at 12z and todays with regard to the spacing between those sw's is pretty big.  Something has to account for that difference.

I'm merely stating the Navgem is by far usually our most progressive model. I'm also stating the fact that every coastal storm this winter has trended N and W. I'm not suggesting a massive coastal snowstorm from NC-ME....I hope I didn't imply this. But an eyebrow should be raised to storm 1 (the SE Coast slp) in regards to what I stated above. The JMA is a bit farther N and W at 12z now too fwiw in response to the trof in the Midwest being a bit slower and digging a bit farther West. And since I'm notorious for looking at the CRAS, I may as well post what it shows for storm 1 for kicks and giggles. Again, don't simply write off this system as being a harmless OTS entity:

a0339b807db754c87a6b9e2c875b79ac.jpg

Hey Ralph.. I definitely agree with what your saying. Its a close shave further up the coast. Just something to keep an eye on.  

Should be interesting how everything develops.  But that is a big storm..

unsurprisingly a nice hit for NW VA....Could be one of those events that is way better in OKV/JYO and kind of wimpy/warm for us

I wonder if that little 'norlun' or inverted trough or whatever is real. It's still snowing with the low east of the benchmark. But it has shown up on many runs to some degree. And yes.. could be a big west to east diff if we're not talking a rapid development low etc.

Archived