amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most are supportive of a 2-4/3-6 type of event.

Agreed. Just gotta hope a good bit of that falls overnight Monday and not high noon Tuesday. 

The ironic thing is I've always thought this was a 2-4" kind of deal with 3-6" max but I got sucked right in like the best of them after the euro yesterday afternoon. lol. Digital snow may as well be crack to a snow weenie. lol

Ok based on the gfs and eps runs we can put to bet the idea of the stj storm running the coast and crushing us. Nothing does that. Not a single run in the lot of 70+. Only 3/4 even get close at all and they get decent previp as far west as the eastern shore to southern nj kinda like today but no further and they are the most amped. However I noticed some of the closer runs also lead to a weird hybrid type miller b bomb. A few 975-985 lows sitting just east of ocean city. However that closer look from the stj is also leading to the 1/3 of runs that are a total miss with nothing. So it's playing with Fire there. Just pointing it out. Most of the weaker stj runs lead to at least something.

Agreed. Just gotta hope a good bit of that falls overnight Monday and not high noon Tuesday. 

The ironic thing is I've always thought this was a 2-4" kind of deal with 3-6" max but I got sucked right in like the best of them after the euro yesterday afternoon. lol. Digital snow may as well be crack to a snow weenie. lol

Yeah, no kidding!  Of course, the thinking was that 2-4" or so would fall in, oh, something much less than a 24 hour period!  But yeah, we got sucked in at 12Z yesterday for something potentially a fair bit better...quite the turnaround today.

So doesn't that lend some credibility to the "on shore" comment?  It may not be much, but surely we have somewhat better sampling capabilities with systems over the US vs. over the Pacific Ocean

Let me state it this way....medium range NWP skill is now comparable in the NH and SH.  In the SH, we have so few raobs and aircraft-based data yet can produce skillful medium range forecasts.  Our current global observing system for the atmosphere is robust and redundant.  I'm talking mostly about synoptic-scale type stuff here.

When you start getting into mesoscale and smaller, of course you need much higher fidelity in space (horizontal and vertical) and time; and need things like radars, etc.

"on shore" also equates to closer in time. So there is less error growth. Same could be said wait until it "clears the rockies". Even less error growth. Personally, I don't think I've seen many cases where "on shore" led to a groundbreaking new solution. Just typical higher accuracy due to less lead time. 

We have a winner.

Precip brushing the Carolina coastline at 57 from the first coastal low that is deepening as it goes up the EC

Energy too concentrated in  bowling ball too far southeast this run. I still think the full capture is very possible. This looks the most similar to 1/25/2000 out of any pattern I've seen since.

There's a reason for the EPS to give NE so much. They have the southern storm slamming them just like the NAM does this run.

Hopefully it eventually gets up slams us. Thats a bit of a stretch for south western areas, but if it trends west as much as this past storm did, even they will do good.

Archived