joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

warmer than 01-02 and 11-12 here so far. Only difference is that we (south coast) have had about 25-30 inches of snow YTD which makes it more tolerable. (all in the last 3-4 weeks) Never lead away from warmth in a big nino is my lesson learned for this year

except I was talking going forward, but whatever

it will be close. Met winter ends 2/29, we'll need to be bitter cold to erase the warmest met winter ever. But agree, we could have 2-4 big snow events going forward and all will be forgiven regardless of temps.

who cares what a calendar artificial date is. Winter rarely ends March 1

I never said anything about what already occurred.

I have driven from Narragansett through Northern RI to Boston now. It's been Snowing Nicely All day.... but there is ZERO..... I mean Zero accumulation in Any of the spots I've been. How have people had 1", 2", 3" of Snow today? Just melts on contact.....?

because the time are in Western interior zones where it was colder? Lol you drove on the coastal plain

I have driven from Narragansett through Northern RI to Boston now. It's been Snowing Nicely All day.... but there is ZERO..... I mean Zero accumulation in Any of the spots I've been. How have people had 1", 2", 3" of Snow today? Just melts on contact.....?

i peaked at 1.8 in the valley before the accumulation ceased even though it snowed for another hour or so at a respectable rate, my street was snow covered for a while but is slush/melted now for the most part and the new snow has already compacted or melted more than a half inch...im sure the towns outside of me with just a hair more elevation easily got another half inch to inch. the best snows were earlier in the morning til about 11 am

you talk about the ri snowhole but where i live for an interior zone is about as unforgiving as they come

in these weaker systems the feb sun is already doing a number on things after about 10 am...the cloud cover has to be thick and snow falling greater than half to three quaters inch/hr to accum on old snow and probably closer to an inch/hr to accum on paved surfaces from 10am to 4pm

i peaked at 1.8 in the valley before the accumulation ceased even though it snowed for another hour or so at a respectable rate, my street was snow covered for a while but is slush/melted now for the most part and the new snow has already compacted or melted more than a half inch...im sure the towns outside of me with just a hair more elevation easily got another half inch to inch. the best snows were earlier in the morning til about 11 am

you talk about the ri snowhole but where i live for an interior zone is about as unforgiving as they come

in these weaker systems the feb sun is already doing a number on things after about 10 am...the cloud cover has to be thick and snow falling greater than half to three quaters inch/hr to accum on old snow and probably closer to an inch/hr to accum on paved surfaces from 10am to 4pm

I think a lot of that melting is not only sun angle but temps too. ...we all crept up above freezing today.

this month has zero resemblance to Feb 98 at hemispheric atmospheric setup, I mean zero. Just because PF hasn't had snow doesn't mean you can compare to 98. Using snow fall as a metric is just silly.

97-98 was really snowy up here.

Absolutely no comparison to that El Nino.

That was a snow bomb of an El Nino.

Archived