joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah... this winter has been the worst I can remember in NNE. Ski areas are just getting destroyed with lack of snow. It's pretty hideous. Thankfully we've had about 7 days of fun and a nice Arctic shot before the torch hounds return.

All in all a pretty exceptionally warm winter across the region. 

We are two weeks into the second half.

Maybe it goes to hell and we rat, but I don't think anyone should be capitulating in that regard, at this point.

Not to continue so far O/T but lets enjoy what we have the next few days, especially those of us that have a good snowpack. Its nothing like last year and I will admit to having to force myself not to "meh" the 12" or so pack out there now but I should not be complaining. There are drifts, there are good piles and we are going into a frigid period looking like legit winter with mood snows to boot. Of course Im nostalgic for a pack like last year or 2011 but its just not as common as we have become accustomed to. It beats a week or 2 back when we were dealing with brush fires.

That said, I'm really feeling for NNE to the point that I will be almost as happy seeing them get nailed as I would be getting a good storm IMBY. Even the Pittsburg, NH type areas are struggling which never happens. There is just nowhere to go for a deep snow pack in New England save for BOS metro down to the South Coast and Cape, haha. Id like to get a good KU here in SNE between now and 3/20 or so and its always possible but I really want to see NNE build up their pack for the next 2 months. I miss going up there and reliably seeing the big snow pack. Just has not been happening for them and something has got to give up there.

Not to continue so far O/T but lets enjoy what we have the next few days, especially those of us that have a good snowpack. Its nothing like last year and I will admit to having to force myself not to "meh" the 12" or so pack out there now but I should not be complaining. There are drifts, there are good piles and we are going into a frigid period looking like legit winter with mood snows to boot. Of course Im nostalgic for a pack like last year or 2011 but its just not as common as we have become accustomed to. It beats a week or 2 back when we were dealing with brush fires.

That said, I'm really feeling for NNE to the point that I will be almost as happy seeing them get nailed as I would be getting a good storm IMBY. Even the Pittsburg, NH type areas are struggling which never happens. There is just nowhere to go for a deep snow pack in New England save for BOS metro down to the South Coast and Cape, haha. Id like to get a good KU here in SNE between now and 3/20 or so and its always possible but I really want to see NNE build up their pack for the next 2 months. I miss going up there and reliably seeing the big snow pack. Just has not been happening for them and something has got to give up there.

Hmmmm.. click to enlarge

nsm_depth_2016021005_Northeast_thumb.jpg

For all of New England or just your backyard? Put down the birthday beer. This is a borderline record warmest all time winter with no SSW or -NAO. You are going to have many areas come close to or possibly break all time low snow in New England. Coastal areas are doing much better. 

warmer than 01-02 and 11-12 here so far.  Only difference is that we (south coast) have had about 25-30 inches of snow YTD which makes it more tolerable. (all in the last 3-4 weeks)  Never lead away from warmth in a big nino is my lesson learned for this year

I have a buddy who goes snowmobiling in Pittsburg. He said there was only like  a 9" pack, which is nuts up there in early Feb.

I have a buddy who goes snowmobiling in Pittsburg. He said there was only like  a 9" pack, which is nuts up there in early Feb.

WNE from NW CT up through Western MA and VT is horrid as well.   Eastern NY state as well north of the lower Hudson valley-some low single digit YTD snowfall totals in there

this month has zero resemblance to Feb 98 at hemispheric atmospheric setup, I mean zero. Just because PF hasn't had snow doesn't mean you can compare to 98. Using snow fall as a metric is just silly.

Think you misunderstood my response to Will?

I meant, some places are in ok territory(you and me and much of CT and RI and coast areas of Mass). I certainly agree that this isn't 98 too. And I was liking Will's statement that there is a lot of time left to continue to pile up the snowfall for SNE and NNE as well. Thats what I liked about what Will said. Didn't mean to get you perturbed on the B-Day. I'm with ya on it's not 98. :-)

Snow really picking up massive flakes should get 3 or 4 easy today

really??? i have just under two inches tiny flakes very light snow sky brightening...no good flakes all morning...its like youre in orh lol

there would be no need for a plow around here..in fact where there is salt on my street the snow is melting lol

6 otg...just short of what we had otg late last Friday

Archived