• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

This warming failed to dissolve the vortex which is what everyone hoped, and it comes right back to the pole. The -AO has its roots from tropical Pacific origins which forced a troposphere response onto the strat for the time being, but this wasn't a classic long lasting SSW that completely changed the circulation from top down. We get these warming responses from the troposphere which is natural in winter and in Nino. Nino's have a base state -AO many times as well. But all the talk of how big SSW would cause super blocking IMO never materialized. This seems to me a result of good tropical forcing onto a weakening signature of Nino atmospheric response. I do agree that having the strat warmer and the PV displaces at times certainly helps, but IMO that is not driving the bus,

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we talking about the past or the future. I said winter has broken Ninoheater and you talk about the past. Good stuff Scott. Didn't know it was April

I said the end of Feb and beginning of Mar look good. But, storm track to be determined and with hints of ridging off the coast...it has yet to be seen how we do. You need to be more objective. Much of winter is torched and screwed for a good chunk of the region already. We are fortunately enough to be in a decent pattern. We warm up next week, before cooling down at the end of the month. 

back in the old days winsted used to always do a little better on average...i hope we are seeing that trend again

Yea, I sure hope so, with today's 2, I'm just shy of 20" ytd...last year I ended close to 100...gonna need a lot of help to just break climo here, these nickle and dimers aren't gonna do it, but I guess they all can't be awesome winters.. My all time low for this area is 27" in like 32-33, so that seems reachable... By the way, looks like they snow is winding down

We will need to see a big final month to 6 weeks over the interior and CNE/NNE for much of the region to have a better winter than '97-'98...we can already rule out some of the really bad places like where PF is....they aren't going to have a winter as snowy as that year.

We'll see how cold the final month is too.

1998 finished with a wimper, so this year finishing strong would help it catch up.

Anyways, this is all off topic for this thread.

I'm hoping that this is this year's version of "It ain't happening James."

I said the end of Feb and beginning of Mar look good. But, storm track to be determined and with hints of ridging off the coast...it has yet to be seen how we do. You need to be more objective. Much of winter is torched and screwed for a good chunk of the region already. We are fortunately enough to be in a decent pattern. We warm up next week, before cooling down at the end of the month. 

objective? I said once again, winter has broken #ninoheater. Nothing more. enjoy the below zero cold. 15 inches this week and more on the way. Talk about getting panties in a bunch over a simple statement.

This warming failed to dissolve the vortex which is what everyone hoped, and it comes right back to the pole. The -AO has its roots from tropical Pacific origins which forced a troposphere response onto the strat for the time being, but this wasn't a classic long lasting SSW that completely changed the circulation from top down. We get these warming responses from the troposphere which is natural in winter and in Nino. Nino's have a base state -AO many times as well. But all the talk of how big SSW would cause super blocking IMO never materialized. This seems to me a result of good tropical forcing onto a weakening signature of Nino atmospheric response. I do agree that having the strat warmer and the PV displaces at times certainly helps, but IMO that is not driving the bus,

The vortex will be significantly weaker and re-position itself in a location that is much more favorable for EPO/AO blocking than we saw the first half of the winter. We may not see severe blocking, but that isn't necessary at least in the US for colder than normal weather. The tropical forcing is a factor, but there is a near equal frequency of SSW events in La Nina's and El Ninos. Actually, La Nina's are slightly favored over Nino's. I'm not crazy about the term "drive the bus" as I think there are many important factors, and it's difficult to isolate causation. Many of the Nino winters with -AO in the second half featured favorable forcing and a perturbed vortex in the stratosphere. Both contribute. If we had the vortex in the state we experienced in December, I think the AO would probably be consistently strongly positive right now.

For all of New England or just your backyard? Put down the birthday beer. This is a borderline record warmest all time winter with no SSW or -NAO. You are going to have many areas come close to or possibly break all time low snow in New England. Coastal areas are doing much better. 

Grossly premature statement.

Surprised coming from you.

Winter has been terrible so far, but saying it will probably end up near record low snowfall in most of NE is an absurd thing to say in the first half of Feb.

On another note did you see the para and Operational? Perhaps a huge dent in that near record low snow in a hurry. Its Feb 10th. NNE can catch up in a hurry. 

Bruce Springsteen Really did bring the snow haha. Boston on friday, Albany on monday and hartford today.

Summer's sweet and she brings me water

But give me Winter, that old icy whore

While summer lies meek and follows orders

Winter cries "me", and pulls me through her door

I know what you mean.

You do realize that a lot of NNE can get crushed into April, right?

Yes. But look at the numbers. Even a snowy period will take a lot of work to help. I also said near..not every station getting record low snow.  I'm well aware how it can be snowy.  BOS so far is doing well and I like my fun guess at 35-45. Mar is up in the air from what I seen, beyond 3/15. 

Look at the numbers for other areas. I am not saying here. I like my guess for BOS happening,

Yeah... this winter has been the worst I can remember in NNE. Ski areas are just getting destroyed with lack of snow. It's pretty hideous. Thankfully we've had about 7 days of fun and a nice Arctic shot before the torch hounds return.

All in all a pretty exceptionally warm winter across the region. 

Archived