CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Storm and Mood Snow Feb 8-11

TalcottWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, what I meant was an overdone forecast creates hype...but again, we'll see......I can fathom a positive bust.

Frank's a great forecaster. I think it helped that I had the luxury of looking at the 18z runs which backed off back this way. BOX could certainly be right - but the forecast we're going wit back here is lower (though not by much). 

Frank's a great forecaster. I think it helped that I had the luxury of looking at the 18z runs which backed off back this way. BOX could certainly be right - but the forecast we're going wit back here is lower (though not by much). 

I'm not trashing BOX or Frank....just to be clear.

I'm just not sure that I would have dropped the B-bomb yet.

Certainly could be right.

This is a low confidence forecast if I've seen one

Lets see if we can get hit with a outer band in A.M

Anyone see any wind reports on bouys

Most recent obs. at Diamond Shoals, 42.7kts, 54.4kts gusts. Fyi, bp down to 29.24 at the East Hatteras Buoy, with winds coming from 150 deg.

I'm not trashing BOX or Frank....just to be clear.

I'm just not sure that I would have dropped the B-bomb yet.

Certainly could be right.

I was actually thinking about this the other day... I'm not sure people realize how much time it takes to actually get the forecast rolled out. For us, for the 5pm news, the forecast has to pretty much be done for a big event by 230 or so. Graphics are made, web is updated, social media is done, briefings with management, conference calls about staffing, talking to our neighboring NBC owned stations, talking to the other mets, reading reporter scripts, holding meetings with producers, etc takes a lot of time.

We can't just change the forecast on a dime when looking at 18z runs. Hell, it's hard to even make relatively minor changes.

It's pretty similar with the NWS from what I understand. Briefings with media and emergency management, typing up products, working on stuff for web/social media, getting the grids to look just right. That stuff takes a lot of time to do and you can't start backing off on some products when other products or briefings have already taken place. 

I was actually thinking about this the other day... I'm not sure people realize how much time it takes to actually get the forecast rolled out. For us, for the 5pm news, the forecast has to pretty much be done for a big event by 230 or so. Graphics are made, web is updated, social media is done, briefings with management, conference calls about staffing, talking to our neighboring NBC owned stations, talking to the other mets, reading reporter scripts, holding meetings with producers, etc takes a lot of time.

We can't just change the forecast on a dime when looking at 18z runs. Hell, it's hard to even make relatively minor changes.

It's pretty similar with the NWS from what I understand. Briefings with media and emergency management, typing up products, working on stuff for web/social media, getting the grids to look just right. That stuff takes a lot of time to do and you can't start backing off on some products when other products or briefings have already taken place. 

You can always toss in a "we're watching a possible trend towards xxx, tune in at 11 for the latest".  There's not really anywhere besides the AFD for NWS to do that.  I guess the ability to be a bit ahead of the mainstream media is what keeps us weenies looking at the models and hanging out in here.

Correct. The blizzard warning probably sends people into a frenzy on social media. They think it means feet and feet.

There's something to this, the public's definition of blizzard is not precisely the same as the nws's definition. They should consider changing it to snow warning plus wind warning when applicable in my opinion.

Archived