joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z GGEM has a big snow to ice storm Miller B for the CAD regions at D8.  I have to like the odds of something in that period, with the Euro also showing the goods.  We need something around here after a kick in the nuts tonight (for us Carolina fans).

The 0z gfs looked completely different for that time.  The gfs takes that wave and closes it off out west and sends it down to Baja where it sits for a few days.  The 0z cmc is closer to the 12z euro so I'd hope it's more correct than the 0z gfs.

From RAH (for this Friday):

AS WE GET CLOSER IN TIME...ONE FEATURE WE WILL NEED TO BE MONITOR
OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS WILL BE EVENTUAL TRACK OF A SHORTWAVE
DIVING DOWN THE BACK-SIDE OF THE TROUGH THAT COULD POTENTIALLY
SUPPORT LIGHT RAIN OR SNOW FRIDAY/FRIDAY NIGHT
. HIGHS FRIDAY IN THE
UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S.

Then the next paragraph (about the following cold):

BOTH THE EC AND GFS INDICATE THAT THE EARLIER MID-WEEK ARCTIC
INTRUSION WILL PALE IN COMPARISON TO THE WEEKEND INTRUSION WITH H8
PROGGED TO BE IN THE -20TO -25C WITH LOW-LEVEL THICKNESSES TANKING
TO 1210-1215M. IF THESE INCREDIBLY COLD THICKNESSES VERIFY...HIGHS
OVER THE WEEKEND WILL STRUGGLE TO CLIMB ABOVE FREEZING WITH
OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS

both para and regular eps have a deep negatively tilted trough over the SE in the means. Still a decent storm signal.

Yeah but the para believe it or not went to the GFS solution of holding the energy back by about 48 hours. The negative trough is great but if the energy is held back it won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but the para believe it or not went to the GFS solution of holding the energy back by about 48 hours. The negative trough is great but if the energy is held back it won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with a blend of 51 ensemble members over 1 op run.

Hopefully they're correct in bringing in a light System in Friday.

This looks pretty good to me on the Op run last night of the EURO.  Can't ask for better than that for a setup.  It seems like the storm is a bit weak, but if we can get that track, with that cold (looks to take a classic track) I think we'd be in business. 

I thought it was a good run too Niner.  It's a weak system early next week that skirts by along the gulf and SE coast.  The CMC had a Miller B winter storm, and I believe the UKMet would end up that way as well.  GFS goes northern stream dominant and doesn't bring the Pac wave out into the cold.  Also, a weak system this Friday is possible if it were to trend farther south.

The Euro suite is the coldest of the models across the SE right now.  To give an idea, the Euro and Euro Parallel both have CLT with a low of 6 Sunday, and a high of 20-21 Sun aftn.  The Euro Ens Mean has a high of 28 Sunday.

It doesn't look like we are going to see a Greenland block lock in this cold vortex, so we're going to need to see the Pac wave drive into the cold before it departs.

I thought it was a good run too Niner.  It's a weak system early next week that skirts by along the gulf and SE coast.  The CMC had a Miller B winter storm, and I believe the UKMet would end up that way as well.  GFS goes northern stream dominant and doesn't bring the Pac wave out into the cold.  Also, a weak system this Friday is possible if it were to trend farther south.

The Euro suite is the coldest of the models across the SE right now.  To give an idea, the Euro and Euro Parallel both have CLT with a low of 6 Sunday, and a high of 20-21 Sun aftn.  The Euro Ens Mean has a high of 28 Sunday.

It doesn't look like we are going to see a Greenland block lock in this cold vortex, so we're going to need to see the Pac wave drive into the cold before it departs.

We've seriously had some really cold days the past few years but I believe that would be the coldest. 

It's hard to be too discouraged with the LR models (Ops and Ensembles).  After a bit of a relaxation, they all come back with a big ridge west and a trough east.  Forget about a -NAO.  It's not ever going to happen again.  That aside, the groundhog is looking pretty foolish right now.

If we get a nice vortex in the NE, and get good solid cold next week for several days, I don't think I could bare seeing the energy in the STJ just sitting there in the pacific spinning thumbing it's nose at us!! Only to eject/cut/and rain on us once it warms up.  Not after last night... :cry:

Give me something...I'll take a Miller B event if I have to (PV doesn't seem as NE as it did a few days ago unfortunately).  With the strong Nino taking place you'd think the energy would kick out like the EURO/CMC/UKMET says.  Gotta be something brewing next week I hope.

I really hope we don't waste these two arctic blasts on cold and dry!? If this weekends ends up being even colder than this weeks and all we end up with is a few clipper flurries, then get a nice rain a few days after Valentines day, that would be like a five finger death punch to the sack!

You know I have just been thinking that if we get this cold for an extended period in the middle of February and don't get some action from that STJ that's been hosing us for the last four months, I for one am going to be PO'd.

UKMet has overall similar look as CMC at day 6

Good look there on the UKMet.  The gfs looks to break a piece of the wave off and send it down to Baja.  If it all came out in one piece I believe it'd be similar more similar to the UKMet and CMC.

EDIT:  I agee grit...The UKMet has a even better look than the cmc.

Archived