joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, what's going on in this forum? It's quieter than a Cam Newton press conference. Indices don't look bad in the LR. Euro advertising possible record breaking cold for this weekend and a couple of threats in the 7 day. The fact none of our red tags or regular winter posters are weighing in makes me think I being too optimistic about the next few weeks.

Man, what's going on in this forum? It's quieter than a Cam Newton press conference. Indices don't look bad in the LR. Euro advertising possible record breaking cold for this weekend and a couple of threats in the 7 day. The fact none of our red tags or regular winter posters are weighing in makes me think I being too optimistic about the next few weeks.

I think people are just worn out from tracking the big rain storm this past weekend.

I think the 7 day threat is legit and looks like our best threat of the year. The high pressure is cold enough that we have a wide goal to shoot through. As long as we can get a storm in the 7 day time frame and it doesn't go through the Great Lakes it should be wintry.

I think the 7 day threat is legit and looks like our best threat of the year. The high pressure is cold enough that we have a wide goal to shoot through. As long as we can get a storm in the 7 day time frame and it doesn't go through the Great Lakes it should be wintry.

Yeah, I just hate that the ensembles really don't show any strong support for a gulf storm and the GFS has absolutely nothing on it at all.  I'm hoping that starts to appear today or tomorrow.  It's going to get nice and cold but I wouldn't say there's strong signal for a storm yet. 

I haven't seen anything yet that has impressed me with a D7 threat.  The CMC is not a horrible look, but it seems wrong to me.  The ridge out west is too flat.  Waves just move along and don't get a chance to amplify.  Similar look on the GFS, EURO, and Navgem.  The CMC takes a strung out wave and makes a storm out of it.  I don't discount the possibility of a storm, but the H5 look isn't screaming winter storm to me at all.  In fact, it looks drier than normal.  What happened to our subtropical jet?

I haven't seen anything yet that has impressed me with a D7 threat.  The CMC is not a horrible look, but it seems wrong to me.  The ridge out west is too flat.  Waves just move along and don't get a chance to amplify.  Similar look on the GFS, EURO, and Navgem.  The CMC takes a strung out wave and makes a storm out of it.  I don't discount the possibility of a storm, but the H5 look isn't screaming winter storm to me at all.  In fact, it looks drier than normal.  What happened to our subtropical jet?

The UK model looked good at 144.  Granted it's just one model, but it's a pretty good one.  The CMC seems to dig just enough to turn the flow from the wsw generating a pretty good overrunning setup with a nice wedge over your way.  It's probably wrong, but the setup isn't terrible IMO.

All the best storms my backyard has gotten in the last 20 years have resulted from weak waves that dampen out as they move east.

Negative tilt, deepening, big dogs basically never work out here.

Here are my positive takeaways from the D7 threat...

Most of the models agree there there will be a strong high pressure in the northeast with 850 air in the -30C range.

Most of the models also agree that there will be southerly low level flow from the gulf as the pacific "wave" approaches, thus leaving the gulf open for business even with a very weak, positively tilted sheared waves.

These two factors lead to precip overrunning across the cold high pressure to produce wintery precip, even in if the pacific wave takes a fairly far  north track. (Example, the euro run just now)

Edit: I just want to add that the combination of high pressure and cold air being depicted on the models in the northeast is very rare. If we were to indeed get a storm system while the high is in a good position. We'll be looking at freezing surface temperatures piercing very south into GA and SC, even with a less than ideal storm track.

The UK model looked good at 144.  Granted it's just one model, but it's a pretty good one.  The CMC seems to dig just enough to turn the flow from the wsw generating a pretty good overrunning setup with a nice wedge over your way.  It's probably wrong, but the setup isn't terrible IMO.

Yeah, forgot about the UK.  Still would like to see that ridge out west looking much better.  Maybe we'll get there.

Archived