• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

Heavy rain and 60 just murders snowpack. I'll probably not have anything left at home except a few larger piles

You sound shocked like you didnt know it was coming.....

44 here.  I bet we don't get to 50..and yes the fog is EATIN my snow...F'er.

Next week baby.....next week.   :lmao:

Nut

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy rain and 60 just murders snowpack. I'll probably not have anything left at home except a few larger piles tonight.

Down to 41 here.  Steady rain n little fog....still eatin my snow.

Hope we can make it through w/ some snowcover...

Nut

as i pulled out of my garage this am, i still had 5' piles in front of my house from the plow truck, i kinda shed a tear.

i have 42 here at work, but its just plain raw out, i got wet at 9am and been chilled since. i need to go home and sit in front of the fire.

it'd be nice if something pans out for next week

as i pulled out of my garage this am, i still had 5' piles in front of my house from the plow truck, i kinda shed a tear.

i have 42 here at work, but its just plain raw out, i got wet at 9am and been chilled since. i need to go home and sit in front of the fire.

it'd be nice if something pans out for next week

Looks like you and i are getting w minny CAD wedgie right now.  Just sucks, but yeah at least a better longwave pattern appears to be setting up.  Whether that translates to white love from above...who knows...

Get by the fire, spice some warmed cider and dry out tonight.  

Nut 

The 12z op euro run was just about a complete shutout for snow the next 10 days. Let's hope it's wrong, it sure has not been the best model so far this Winter.

Brian, I saw the snow map in the mid atlantic forum...funny, but no way I'll complain after what we got 12 days ago. Especially when mountain areas have had less than 10" for the entire season so far. 

No snow left here. One could think it is spring.

could this be the worse winter ever? we are about 20 inches below normal.

My area is way below normal as well. One storm could atleast help make up ground but just like north central and northeast PA we are getting screwed as well.

Watching this Arctic-front-turned-deformation-band for Monday and Tuesday closely. GFS and GEFS have generally shown it popping up, and several of the 06z GEFS members and the 12z GFS actually give pretty high amounts in association with it (0.7-1.2 in many cases). Will be very location sensitive, as a small shift east or west would give one region much more, and another region much less.

Watching this Arctic-front-turned-deformation-band for Monday and Tuesday closely. GFS and GEFS have generally shown it popping up, and several of the 06z GEFS members and the 12z GFS actually give pretty high amounts in association with it (0.7-1.2 in many cases). Will be very location sensitive, as a small shift east or west would give one region much more, and another region much less.

Euro, on the other hand, looks nothing like it.

Euro, on the other hand, looks nothing like it.

Euro still looked like it had some light to moderate precip in parts of PA associated with this, though not quite like the GFS and certainly not the explosive QPF it had in a narrow band. I actually like the potential of this event. It won't be anything monumental compared to the last storm.. but I think it could possibly be at least an advisory caliber type deal for at least some of C-PA. It certainly could have been monumental if the southern stream wave doesn't escape way too early considering the major amplification in the pattern and very vigorous 500mb shortwave dropping via the northern stream. 

At any rate, the northern stream wave itself is vigorous enough that I would be confident in at least some area of snow developing through PA via an inverted trough feature as the Lakes low drops down and a new coastal low begins to form. Positioning is a bit different between GFS and Euro. Euro pops the low further down the coast than the GFS and GFS develops secondary more inland just underneath PA before going off the coast. Given the 500 western ridge positioning out west (axis more over Washington) I'm inclined to give the GFS's more inland positioning more weight. There's also a big difference between the Euro and GFS with the southern stream wave that escapes prior, as the Euro has it much deeper and much further SW of the GFS. Throwing in the Canadian shows agreement towards the Euro in that matter. 

Really is a shame we can't phase in that southern shortwave, the western ridge and PNA are huge. Probably wouldn't even need the -NAO  with that.

GFS 500mb 108hr

post-1507-0-04495100-1454618177_thumb.pn

Teleconnections (PNA !!!)

post-1507-0-07877200-1454618191_thumb.pn

Surprisingly still have a 4 to 5 inch snowpack here from the blizzard. There are some bare spots on our hill but I am amazed at the staying power down here after the mega torch and rain.

I had to go to Virginia today and I noticed that there was quite a bit of snow left from Carlisle to the state line. Except in the median on I-81. It was completely bare. Not sure why...

Well, the 18Z run of the GFS was a snow-feast for all of PA during its entire run, delivering over a foot, with 2 feet for the UNV area from several events.  Next Monday>Thursday gives some snow all 4 days with the heart of the event from later Monday through Tuesday.  Looks like 6"+ for LSV.  Of course, the 12Z run gave us less than 3" for the entire run before it, but as MAG just mentioned, it's looking like a pretty active period for many of us next week.

12z Euro Para model is nice for a lot of us for Monday night into Tuesday.

It develops the low in Central VA & then heads northeast off the coast of NJ.

It puts down 6 inches in the Harrisburg area & 4-6 towards State College/ Altoona area.

Towards the end of the run for next weekend, it shows a low out in Oklahoma with overrunning precip racing out ahead all the way to the western half of PA. Meanwhile a large area of 1036 High pressure is pressing down from Ontario. That set-up reminds me of The President's day 2003 storm.

Some of the other models have shown this look the past few days as well!

Buckle up guys, it could be a fun week of tracking.

Archived