• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

Wilkes-barre had one, it would work like a giant snow thrower, IT was only good for over 6 inches and the city used it to clear the edges of the streets where the plows had pushed the snow, I saw it action, it was impressive, it wouldn't take long to fill a dump truck,

It is nice to see that the city and state will pay money to get the roads opened. Hence the State of emergency spend now and worry about paying later,.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like we have about 1 week off from any exciting winter weather.

A better pattern emerges by around Feb 4th.

The Euro ensemble mean brings around 3 -5 inches of snow from south to north across CTP by the end of the 15 day run, with almost all the snow in the 10-15 day window. About half of the members bring at least a few inches, & there are a few big hits mixed in as well. The Euro control run is a beauty, & the track looks very similar to the blizzard we just experienced. The control run snow, for what it's worth at this range, brings around 1 foot to the LSV with around 6 inches to the north & west in CTP.

Enjoy the week of rest, because we should be back in storm mode soon!

It looks like we have about 1 week off from any exciting winter weather.

A better pattern emerges by around Feb 4th.

The Euro ensemble mean brings around 3 -5 inches of snow from south to north across CTP by the end of the 15 day run, with almost all the snow in the 10-15 day window. About half of the members bring at least a few inches, & there are a few big hits mixed in as well. The Euro control run is a beauty, & the track looks very similar to the blizzard we just experienced. The control run snow, for what it's worth at this range, brings around 1 foot to the LSV with around 6 inches to the north & west in CTP.

Enjoy the week of rest, because we should be back in storm mode soon!

Sounds like the signs of better times (as far as a stable pattern with chances for storms) is gaining momentum.  Just have to get beyond the next few days.  While weve had 1 good great AWESOME storm....its only been 1 storm.  

Need MORE.  Lets hope the trends continue in the next few days.

Nut

Sounds like the signs of better times (as far as a stable pattern with chances for storms) is gaining momentum.  Just have to get beyond the next few days.  While weve had 1 good great AWESOME storm....its only been 1 storm.  

Need MORE.  Lets hope the trends continue in the next few days.

Nut

For me, the tracking/following leading up to the storm is all part of the experience for me. 

How many years can you truly say that the second storm you receive would likely net you into plus territory?

I still can't believe it literally took only one storm to send MDT from 0 to pretty much their seasonal average, while some of the deep interior north-central and northeastern parts of the state are still in single digits at best for seasonal snowfall. 

I still can't believe it literally took only one storm to send MDT from 0 to pretty much their seasonal average, while some of the deep interior north-central and northeastern parts of the state are still in single digits at best for seasonal snowfall. 

I look at the snow (or lack of snow)cams in the NC mountains on my snowmobile sites....and it is just utterly depressing.  Theyve basically hung onto a coating for a week + and will likely lose most/all of it after the late weekend warmup.  

Mag, can you cook up a map or 2 that show this warmup being thwarted and getting things cranking by a week from today....

Please!!

Sounds like regardless the outcome fast forward a week and there may again be a buzz of activity.  Last week was awesome in here.

Nut

We're all sick. We really are. To echo what a few others have said, the "hunt" is almost as fun as the catch (storm) itself. I anticipate snowstorms like a child anticipates Christmas. I seriously went to bed on Sunday night about half depressed because one, the storm was over, and two...there's nothing to track right now. It's depressing. 

I'll also say this. As unbelievable as Saturday was for some of us, I'd give my soul for a March '93 type of storm that annihilates the entire commonwealth. I'd gladly take 18" of snow encased in 4" of sleet to go along with 50 mph winds just to see the western and northern areas get pummeled. I truly would...

We're all sick. We really are. To echo what a few others have said, the "hunt" is almost as fun as the catch (storm) itself. I anticipate snowstorms like a child anticipates Christmas. I seriously went to bed on Sunday night about half depressed because one, the storm was over, and two...there's nothing to track right now. It's depressing.

I'll also say this. As unbelievable as Saturday was for some of us, I'd give my soul for a March '93 type of storm that annihilates the entire commonwealth. I'd gladly take 18" of snow encased in 4" of sleet to go along with 50 mph winds just to see the western and northern areas get pummeled. I truly would...

Agree 100%. It's just never enough. I am insatiable.

Bingo, i echo all of it!

This storm was awesome, but is not my favorite. Even PD2 ranks higher for me personally. 

We had a snow storm???? I would not call 4 inches much of a storm :).

Bingo, i echo all of it!

This storm was awesome, but is not my favorite. Even PD2 ranks higher for me personally. 

For me, I'd rate March '93 number #1. January '96 #2, and this past Saturday #3.

The winter of '09-'10 was special not only because I was fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of 3 epic storms, but mainly because 3-4 days out I was on the outside looking in, and then they all trended just far enough north to be in it. 

We're all sick. We really are. To echo what a few others have said, the "hunt" is almost as fun as the catch (storm) itself. I anticipate snowstorms like a child anticipates Christmas.

I feel the same way, and I generally dislike snow. I can't imagine what it's like you guys who actually love it...

Not just PA...you can make the same comparison to some places all the way into interior New England!! Check the "Biggest Loser" thread in that forum...

"Interior Winter" my a$$ :axe:

That is the one thing about cold, dry snows....they really compact quickly!  I briefly made it into the low 40's this afternoon and the melting continues.  I haven't measured, but I've easily lost over half of the 35".  I'd say I'm down to around 14".  On the plus side, I'd much rather see it melt naturally through sunshine versus losing it in a rainstorm.

If you check out the midatlantic forum they are all saying we go through about a week to maybe 10 days of "boring" non-stormy weather before the pattern reloads in a pretty strong fashion.  Days 10-15 are looking quite cold and potentially stormy once again.  Maybe we'll have another Feb 1983 this Feb?

I can definitely relate to the post-storm depression.  Been there, done that many times over.  It wasn't quite as bad with this storm for whatever reason.  I think maybe just because I was so exhausted after it was all over, that helped some.  Also, at least the snow was light weight and not as hard to shovel, despite the depth of it all.

I  have noticed the depression thing as well. We tend to  get ourselves hyped up for a major snow storm. When we get it, we go into a depression because, the excitement has faded, IF we don't get the snow, we are also depressed because we (subconsciously) feel we didn't deserve the storm, we were jipped, or someone stole it away.

I get it. I just hope we get a storm soon.

Looks like I timed my travel well.  Caught the big storm in PA and now it's looking increasingly likely I see a significant storm here in Denver on Monday. 12z GFS is a nice 10-16" here with some solid winds.

My parents said the snow cover is down to around 15-18" in Lebanon County.

Archived