Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM
Ian

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Now THIS is ripping snow. Wow.

It's been like that in Clarksburg most of the day. Only maybe two 15 minute periods where we slowed to just regular SN. Winds are really up now, NE18G34. 1:45pm total was 25.2" but I've only cleared every 12 hours so that's likely underdone a bit. Here's a small vid from my jebwalk 45 minutes ago:

trim.87D4161E-195D-45FB-B5E6-A0A921AB0528.MOV

just measured 18.5 inches on the deck here. still snowing moderately here, but by the looks of radar things may be close to winding down in my neck of the woods. Was hoping for higher totals, but happy with what I got. From the looks of radar loops overnight and this morning, we may have just avoided a nasty cutoff just south of CHO.

Anyone know offhand where the low is located at this point, approximately?

GREarth's mesoanalysis puts the western center (it's a double SLP at this point) about 70 nm ENE of the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. It's been wobbling westward.

Just came in from a walk around the area and man it is like a bomb went off. The drifting is absolutely insane. Hard to walk around the area and it was coming down moderate to heavy with heavier band moving in as I type. Measured a little over 27" (27.2) but boy was it rough. With the bands rotating in from the NE, expect to get to 30" here in Germantown.

This is absolutely incredible. I'm amazed that the power hasn't gone out yet.

And don't even get me started on Ocean City!

Beautiful, beautiful storm. Moderate to heavy snow in Centreville, VA, with occasional gusts greatly decreasing visibility. Measurement difficult, but I took my snow-loving dog out for a walk and she was drowning in it, so somewhere between 22" and 26".

GREarth's mesoanalysis puts the western center (it's a double SLP at this point) about 70 nm ENE of the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. It's been wobbling westward.

yea looks like it pumped the breaks allowing more moisture to be thrown back in from the atlantic, which is maybe part of the reason we were able to cash in with the upper level low.  this part of the storm reminds me a little bit of the feb 10, 2010 storm.

It has been snowing moderate to heavy all day long here in downtown Frederick MD. Must be at least 24" now and still no signs of letting up. There's also some wind. No thundersnow, tho. :(

Would be nice...just let that stuff keep pouring on in from the northeast!

It should be at least 1.5 hours I would think, you can see the contracting of the precip shield from the West but it ain't exactly speeding towards us.