• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlckJckKhoWX
    Newest Member
    BlckJckKhoWX
Ian

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Are you keeping up with a snowboard or just measuring depths?  When I was using the snowboard yesterday evening I was getting higher totals than the depth.  At this point I've given up on the snowboard and am just jamming a meterstick into the ground.  

I am using a huge patio table in a fairly sheltered area. I haven't swept.  And then I am verifying my totals by measuring all around.  They still aren't high confidence measurements.  There has been a lot of drifting.  It is hard to measure in a city :)

Just went for a XC ski around my neighborhood.  Ski conditions are excellent on the side streets but too deep for skiing on the sidewalks, and that's with a pair of backcountry EVO skis.  Saw a plow stuck in the snow at the gas station.  Side streets don't look like they have been or will be plowed anytime soon.  SN+.  

No problemo - just dig em out. this is why we love these storms.

Can confirm lightning and thunder in Columbia at 6:12 a.m. Had to look at security cameras to be sure I wasn't hallucinating after just waking up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thundersnow at 6:15am. Temps went up from 19 to 21 overnight.

Have you taken a measurement? I can see it's all blown and drifted, even on my back patio table.  Nearby PWS has 1.03" liquid as a storm total, which probably means close to 12" more or less.

Need some good dendrites.  These rimed flakes aren't going to give nice ratios. 

Pivot seems to be happening. Snow building back down to the south and southeast.

Central MoCo is getting smashed right now.

I keep thinking DC proper is about to start flirting with the dry slot but it's filling in nicely.  This is the part where areas NW get destroyed.

Have you taken a measurement? I can see it's all blown and drifted, even on my back patio table.  Nearby PWS has 1.03" liquid as a storm total, which probably means close to 12" more or less.

No measurement yet. Just got up 5 mins before the flash. I just happened to be looking out window for first time to see and BOOM! Nice start to the day. Looks like a foot on car. Wonder how much has blown off, tho.

Had to shovel a path to take the dog out. Easily over 12 here but it is hard to get a total with the drifting.

Just went out to do the same. Light snow and riming. Some pingers mixed in. I'm in a horrible spot for measuring but judging by the path I cut, I'd say the mean depth is in the 10" range. 

I'm in the same situation. I'm hoping the next band is better.