joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Banter & Complaint Thread, Jan 22-23

No snow for you

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, I get that there is a pecking order at the station and all that. But a science PhD takes a lot of work (among other things), it's just gotta sting to be behind someone with a BS in that order, and then have the producers come to you with "Hey, Nate, can you go on camera and talk about the traffic cams for 30 seconds?"

Then again, it's got to pay better and give him more family time than the postdoc/tenure track grind, so he's probably totally cool with it.

I thought someone on here said before that Nate was actually in charge of the meteorology department at WRAL behind the scenes, but Fishel gets the camera time.

So, it looks like the models didn't get all this sleet and freezing rain right. I know for me RAH was calling for 4 to 6 inches of snow, and other mets thought we'd see more snow, too, before it changed to ice.

Yep. Last night all mainstream wx sites had upped snow totals for me (3-5"), when I woke up it had all changed to <1". They obviously figured something out overnight.

I thought someone on here said before that Nate was actually in charge of the meteorology department at WRAL behind the scenes, but Fishel gets the camera time.

WRAL's bio page for Nate does not list him as having a PhD, so it's likely I have my wires crossed. I could have sworn I have seen him referred to on-air as "Dr." Nate Johnson.

WRAL's bio page for Nate does not list him as having a PhD, so it's likely I have my wires crossed. I could have sworn I have seen him referred to on-air as "Dr." Nate Johnson.

This is from his Wikipedia page:

Nathan (Nate) Johnson is an American meteorologist at WRAL-TV in Raleigh, North Carolina. He has also served as executive producer since 2007. Johnson has also served meteorology lecturer at North Carolina State University since 2010.

Prior to joining WRAL, Johnson was a data services meteorologist with Baron Services in Huntsville, Alabama. Prior to that he served as chief meteorologist at KTXS-TV in Abiliene, Texas.[1] Johnson holds bachelor's degrees in both meteorology and computer science from North Carolina State University. He interned with WRAL from May 1999 - May 2000.[2]

Maybe one day the models will get it right. One day.

A decent amount of models, especially short range models were showing a huge warm nose and people dismissed them like they do everytime a model shows up too warm and say "It's fine. Models are too warm anyway". Then they get surprised and ultimately disappointed when the storm didn't delivered when I warned people yesterday the wedge isn't as strong as modeled so the WAA can kill a lot of people.

I see no evidence that the guidance did not get this one right from an extended t step, that is unless you banked on the weenie snow maps.

Well, all the forecasted snow totals from the NWS and mets were too high. No one thought we would get a foot of snow, but I think most thought we would have more snow this morning before it changed to ice.

Well, all the forecasted snow totals from the NWS and mets were too high. No one thought we would get a foot of snow, but I think most thought we would have more snow this morning before it changed to ice.

Tokens are not accepted at this early stage, you can cash out once you have 3" of crust and no power tomorrow evening.

A decent amount of models, especially short range models were showing a huge warm nose and people dismissed them like they do everytime a model shows up too warm and say "It's fine. Models are too warm anyway". Then they get surprised and ultimately disappointed when the storm didn't delivered when I warned people yesterday the wedge isn't as strong as modeled so the WAA can kill a lot of people.

How did you know the wedge wasn't as strong?

Tokens are not accepted at this early stage, you can cash out tomorrow evening once you have 3" of crust and no power.

My wife and I know that if Nate shows up unexpectedly on the TV then we need to head to an interior room of the house.

[quote name="Cold Rain" post="3912782" timestamp="1453504124"

This turned out to be a pretty good forecast, minus the rain....but the night is still young. :whistle:

Mic drop

Maybe you should become a met. Of course, your forecast was probably based on what we have seen here before. Maybe it is better just to go on that instead of relying on the forecasts. 90% of the time the forecasted snow totals are too high here.

This turned out to be a pretty good forecast, minus the rain....but the night is still young. :whistle:

"1-2" snow/sleet, followed by .25" freezing rain, followed by .5" rain, followed by most in the dry slot, followed by .5" snow

We will eagerly wait for the deform band to rotate through the area, while we dry slot, and we'll sadly watch it decay and lift northeast as it drops a token .5" snowfall."

Mic drop

Archived