joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA OMG SNOW thread -- Winter 2016

neff

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.1-0.25" into the southern tier at 84hr, which is already better than 12z. 

90hr - Moderate snow in the far southern tier, 0.1 line running roughly a JST-AOO-MDT line

96 hr - Similar, with moderate snow into the some of the LSV (Like York/Lancaster) 

Main takeaway is def better than 12z

That to me is the first baby step back. So good!

Man what a cutoff in SW PA. A stone's throw from 1.00+ to 0.

In any event, it is definitely improved from 12z. 0.25-0.5 UNV-IPT. 81 corridor 80N gets back to 0.50+. LSV 1.00+.

My subforum is sweating bullets right now. The north west precip definitely came north. It's good to see and atleast this is still 2.5 days away. Both our subforum can still benefit from some more trends.

well, it is certainly the Americans/Canadians versus the Europeans in this case. 2 extreme solutions to consider. GFS has been the most consistent for several, several runs. I don't even know what to think.

things just got really interesting, it will be very enjoyable to watch this play out and hopeful hit with a lot of powder to finish.

Yep certainly a good bit better than 12z, but some work still to be done to get our PIT/UNV/IPT folks more involved. Def a DC/NOVA jackpot.. but it looks that the southern parts of the LSV end up with a pretty sig storm. Ensembles should be interesting. 

Pleasantly surprising improvements after how far south the H5 was trying to form and dig. Seems the slower speed gave a chance for the confluence to step back.

I'll be interested in the 500 mb and other comparisons once I see the full Euro here in a bit. When the 0z NAM came out I compared it to the 12z Euro and it actually wasn't that vastly different at 500mb. The confluence is also going to be a piece of the puzzle as far as northern extent. 

The Euro may be trending towards the GFS slowly like it did during last year's blizzard... the opposite way from us that time.

Overall great trends tonight. The GFS holding serve and even ticking a bit NW from its 18z run was huge. 

Lets hope the positive trends continue. 

PBZ already has issued Winter storm watches for their southern counties (Fayette and Greene in PA). Probably a reflection of what CTP's first take on watches will probably eventually be, with the first tier of counties across the central and up to MDT in the Sus Valley. 06z NAM precip zone has shifted to look more like the Euro..but in typical NAMed fashion it's pretty crazy and has an insane cutoff. In the Pit zone it goes from about nothing in the city to a foot in Fayette/Green Counties to 2'+ in Morgantown. Driving the 70 or so miles on I-99 from State College to Bedford goes from about zero in State College to 12-18" in Bedford. The differences in the modeling has not mattered for the NOVA/MD/DC region which gets destroyed no matter what.. but in our Pit and C-PA forums we're going to be sweating out a cutoff area somewhere. Gotta hope the GFS and CMC's overall insistence on involving most of PA in significant snow pays off. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
319 AM EST WED JAN 20 2016

MDZ001-PAZ031-075-076-WVZ012-021-509>514-202030-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0001.160122T1800Z-160124T0600Z/
GARRETT-GREENE-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-WETZEL-MARION-MONONGALIA-
RIDGES OF EASTERN MONONGALIA AND NORTHWESTERN PRESTON-PRESTON-
EASTERN PRESTON-WESTERN TUCKER-EASTERN TUCKER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...WAYNESBURG...UNIONTOWN...
CHAMPION...OHIOPYLE...NEW MARTINSVILLE...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN...
COOPERS ROCK...KINGWOOD...BRUCETON MILLS...TERRA ALTA...
ROWLESBURG...HAZELTON...PARSONS...HENDRICKS...SAINT GEORGE...
DAVIS...THOMAS...CANAAN VALLEY
319 AM EST WED JAN 20 2016

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...6 OR MORE INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE LOWER
ELEVATIONS. IN THE RIDGES...AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF A FOOT ARE
POSSIBLE.

* SNOW BEGINNING...FRIDAY AFTERNOON...SPREADING NORTHWARD FRIDAY
EVENING.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...OVERNIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT INTO
SATURDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ENDING...SATURDAY AFTERNOON IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS...AND
LATE SATURDAY EVENING IN THE RIDGES.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 20 MPH IN THE LOWER
ELEVATIONS. IN THE RIDGES...NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO
30 MPH.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW
ACCUMULATION. STRONG WIND MAY DRIFT SNOW ACROSS ROADS AND REDUCE
VISIBILITY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW ACCUMULATION THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE
LATEST FORECASTS.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1201 AM EST WED JAN 20 2016

VALID 12Z SAT JAN 23 2016 - 12Z WED JAN 27 2016

MODEL CHOICES AND CONFIDENCE...

CHOICES ARE LARGELY A RESULT OF THOSE SOLUTIONS THAT HAVE SHOWN

THE BEST RUN-TO-RUN CONTINUITY THE LAST FEW DAYS AND HAVE THE

GREATEST SUPPORT FROM OTHER SOLUTIONS INCLUDING THE ENSEMBLES. OF

THESE VARIOUS SOLUTIONS...THE ENSEMBLE MEANS HAVE BEEN THE

STEADIEST DESPITE IRONING OUT IMPORTANT SYSTEM DETAILS...WITH THE

GFS A CLOSE SECOND AND THE ECMWF THE WORST. IN FACT...THE ECMWF IS

SO FAR FROM ITS OWN ENSEMBLE MEAN AND THE DETERMINISTIC CONSENSUS

IN 4 DISTINCT AREAS BEGINNING SATURDAY THAT IT WAS NOT USED AT ALL

IN THE BLENDING PROCESS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys seemed to have a lot of fun in here last night, after being up at 230 yesterday no way i could hang. Canderson snafu was a classic as well as the obit for Eskimo. Good chit. Digging last nights models, like the north movement. I think for those of us in the southern tier counties have a legit shot at double digits. I'm pretty pumped. 

Something i haven't seen talked of much is the wind, as i read it may be closer to the coast, can we anticipate greater winds associated with the storm because of this?

You guys seemed to have a lot of fun in here last night, after being up at 230 yesterday no way i could hang. Canderson snafu was a classic as well as the obit for Eskimo. Good chit. Digging last nights models, like the north movement. I think for those of us in the southern tier counties have a legit shot at double digits. I'm pretty pumped.

Something i haven't seen talked of much is the wind, as i read it may be closer to the coast, can we anticipate greater winds associated with the storm because of this?

CTP mentions sustained winds 25-35 in this mornings discussion.

GFS continues its incredible continuity run after run....12z is critical for MDT north and west. 6z NAM caved in south and east with a huge cutoff. I get this feeling GFS will shift south (I hope not). Hopefully, confluence continues to be weaker on other models which should shift it north.

Mid-Altantic is pretty much locked in, whereas forecaster up here and through NYC and Boston anything goes right now. 

Edit: Al Roker just called 12-18" E PA, through NYC....it has to happen now. :-)

Archived