joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA OMG SNOW thread -- Winter 2016

neff

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very sharp cutoff again, edge starting to show itself but good run for southeastern 1/3 again.  These are quick glance qpf numbers

LNS 1.9

York 1.9

ABE: 1.0

RDG: 1.3

MDT: 1.2

UNV 0.1

very very sharp cutoff from 1" to almost nothing in just 20-30 miles runs from just NW of garrett county MD northeast to near east stroudsburgh PA.  worrying about exactly where it is on each run is pointless until we are within 24 hours but thats about where it is on this run. 

Does anything get into Pgh area?

All these people saying "great run!"... :(

sorry... the models in the last 24 hours have converged on that northern fringe and for now it runs across pa from somerset area across the turnpike to Harrisburgh then along 78 from there.  NW of there things drop off a cliff fast.  Now that is where they all have the edge now, doesnt mean it wont trend north from here but for now they all seem to be hinting at that break down. 

Also of note, the later start on the Euro. Flakes don't fly in the LSV until early Saturday...worst arrives Saturday afternoon. Front end thump seems like it won't be much of a factor, as the orientation and track doesn't look right for that on the Euro. Our forum will be counting on what the CCB does on the north/northwest side of the low. It has trended in our favor and there is still time to go. 

I love the look of the NAM/GFS/GGEM/JMA/Euro this morning for the southeastern 1/3 of PA, basically south of turnpike from laurels to harrisburg then south of 78, so dont take this as a downer, but the bust potential is higher then it would seem given the agreement of the globals because this has evolved into relying on the CCB and deform banding instead of a nice WAA front end thump before bonus later.  While that does not mean we don't get a nice end result, those things are more complicated for models to nail down even from this far out.  The trend south of the primary and earlier transfer to a secondary along the GA/SC coast instead of further north means the WAA thump probably cuts off before doing much into PA and we have to wait nervously for the low to get up here and give us some ccb love and hope for banding to set up.  Exciting but more risky then if we had a foot in the bank from WAA before the low even occluded and wrapped up. 

I love the look of the NAM/GFS/GGEM/JMA/Euro this morning for the southeastern 1/3 of PA, basically south of turnpike from laurels to harrisburg then south of 78, so dont take this as a downer, but the bust potential is higher then it would seem given the agreement of the globals because this has evolved into relying on the CCB and deform banding instead of a nice WAA front end thump before bonus later.  While that does not mean we don't get a nice end result, those things are more complicated for models to nail down even from this far out.  The trend south of the primary and earlier transfer to a secondary along the GA/SC coast instead of further north means the WAA thump probably cuts off before doing much into PA and we have to wait nervously for the low to get up here and give us some ccb love and hope for banding to set up.  Exciting but more risky then if we had a foot in the bank from WAA before the low even occluded and wrapped up. 

Could the models be doing this because of the system being so amped up with so much moisture that the convection developing near the coast is creating rapid pressure falls so the models jump the low to the coast faster? Or is what I mentioned the reason why a quicker jump would occur?

Could the models be doing this because of the system being so amped up with so much moisture that the convection developing near the coast is creating rapid pressure falls so the models jump the low to the coast faster? Or is what I mentioned the reason why a quicker jump would occur?

the guidance has all trended south with the H5 track and that of course dictates where the initial low and eventual secondary track and develop.  Its simply shifted south thats all. 

From Mark Ellinwood in MA forum.  Sounds reasonable....for now.  Lets hope to bump this up north 75 miles eh?

20150122-24_MAsnow_initial.png

Nothing here?

edit- disregard it showed now. Mark is pretty good. I like to read what he posts, i hope he is as acurate with this as others he has done in the past. It certainly seems reasonable. 

i dont think were done with this yet gang....

May not be in our favor....or maybe it will.  Still holding onto the N correction inside 48 as I've said several times in the last couple days.

Just like the GFS.... I too may be wrong :)

Nut

We have basically been high and dry for a long time, i'll take whatever mother nature throws at us and will be happy about it. If i get 6" great, if i get 12 awesome, i get 24" bring an AED

Archived