Toothache
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #1 - No Banter

Deck Pic

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure if anyone gave you qpf, but Euro had about 1.2" for Winchester

but the county as it a whole ranged from 0.8 to 1.4 NW to SE

Yes. The Euro has the cutoff through Frederick County VA basically. We usually do better with ratios overall anyways. So it usually averages out on snow depth. Also we have no way of knowing where the heavy banding sets up. It usually runs a line sw to ne from like Front Royal to Westminster. Or a littel east of there.

The 6Z GFS seems to have a faster progression with the storm overall. Only 24 hours of snow :)

Yes. The Euro has the cutoff through Frederick County VA basically. We usually do better with ratios overall anyways. So it usually averages out on snow depth. Also we have no way of knowing where the heavy banding sets up. It usually runs a line sw to ne from like Front Royal to Westminster. Or a littel east of there.

The 6Z GFS seems to have a faster progression with the storm overall. Only 24 hours of snow :)

Euro was pretty sharp across the board, Hagerstown area less than 1", Wes with well over 2"

I don't think any should focus on those details, yeah, pay attention to the QPF but know it will change every run. Things should become more focused as we get closer. I think for now, everyone should just focus on the fact that the storm is still there, and the 500 levels are looking fantastic. Let the other details work themselves out. 

Everyone in far N and W burbs should hopefully know by now that there is a secondary precip max and secondary banding, and no matter what the models say, they will do better than further east...

often that superband that sets up in the same place is due to a combination of geographic assistance and the higher ratios you often see at the back edge of the ccb. When I have done qpf meltdowns I usually found that it wasn't from getting as much or more qpf but from getting just enough mixed with crazy high ratios.

Welcome back! I hope all is well. We've seen pretty amazing consistently the last few days, anything we should be watching closely as potential wrenches to a big storm?

Good to be back. Hope you are well.

I would say this has all the making of a major system. Track and timing of energy transfer will be huge. The waters are a bit warmer and a track further west could bring that warmer belt of air in and cause mixing issues. Also...I think we'll see better confidence once each piece of energy makes it into the conus.

Models will pickup on that and there's no sign of that on most models save an occasional gfs run.

Well remember some ensemble members are west of the mean track...the 0z para gfs was tucked into Cheaseapeake and so too was the Navgem but of course take that with a grain of salt...one thing that cannot be denied water temps 43-49 right at the coast and 70 miles out 60-75 dammed if you do dammed if you dont to get the big one it is a needed ingredient it is tread lighly worthy.

Two key points with the higher water temps.

1). Warmer water from mild fall and winter can mean more energy. Think about the strong baroclinic zone that would set up with the low bombing after the phase. Pretty rapid deepening, explosive development.

2) As with all strong coastal systems, unfortunately a small 50-100 mile track shift could have major implications on who gets major snow and who sees mixing.

All the right ingredients are in place....healthy ridge out west, great 500 pattern, blocking high, antecedent cold airmass, 50/50 low etc. Looks great with each run but how the warmer ocean content plays in will be crucial I believe.

0z para gfs was not as sweet. Trough goes negative a little early and tucks the low up the bay. The middle if the storm would be heavy rain for most of us before flipping back to snow. The solution is on its own right now so not worth reading too much into it. Buy like with the euro going more SE last night, these are things to watch for irt trends.

IMO what were seeing now is noise for a day 4 threat. A 50 mile shift in slp track might be huge for our ground truth buys it's a minor shift for a storm this far out. Models are remarkably fixed on the general solution and were just seeing all the possible permutations within that

Guys, I do not believe the qpf output whatsoever on a bombing system that tracks perfectly over hatteras and northeast from there. I almost guarantee as the event draws near you see an uptick in qpf production on the westside of the storm. Just my two cents.

The 06z GPS shows a bit more South and West for total accumulation. The numbers in DC-BWI metro area epic. By the end of the storm even NCNC and SCVA have 8" - 11".

IMO what were seeing now is noise for a day 4 threat. A 50 mile shift in slp track might be huge for our ground truth buys it's a minor shift for a storm this far out. Models are remarkably fixed on the general solution and were just seeing all the possible permutations within that

Oh, I totally agree. Wobbles are going to happen all week. Just something to keep an eye on because personally I would think too close of a track is probably a much bigger concern than something too far SE. Big bombing storms always have tricks up their sleeve.

I haven't seen the 00Z GFS para, but how "bad" is it, relatively? It seems to have been closer to the coast and a bit warmer overall I think for most of it's runs. Though yesterday's 18Z para was nice.

It went into E central VA and across the mouth of the bay. Not that  much of a shift but too far west for the cities to stay all snow.

xDwwNSc.gif

Oh, I totally agree. Wobbles are going to happen all week. Just something to keep an eye on because personally I would think too close of a track is probably a much bigger concern than something too far SE. Big bombing storms always have tricks up their sleeve.

my pragmatism always has me looking for the fail. In this case Im having a hard time deciding which is the bigger threat suppressed or over amped. That probably means we're in a good spot. I could see how either can happen but both seem less likely. I guess I would lean suppressed since even a wound up inland track still gives a front end and back end thump in the cities while there are a few members that show how the phase could miss and the stj gets squashed.

06z Para GFS looks improved from the 00z Para GFS - a little more south with the Low. Still close but much improved so far - out to 114 hours. And still very, very, very wet.

It's a mauling so far...over 2" of QPF through 3z Saturday.  It's better than 00z so far like you said...850s get close but so far, stay east 95. 

We could still see some sort of wholesale shift...I wouldn't say it is likely, but 100 hours out isn't insignificant....

Alright, so literally all models own us right now. Euro most SE it appears and GFS furthest North? So if we take middle road we get smoked. When do we say this is actually going to happen? I mean it appears we could be talking how many feet instead of inches this go around

Archived