joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 4

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's totally ignore a piece of guidance, good idea!

Wonder how many meteorologists wished they had paid more attention to the NAM on the last storm considering that it could be strongly argued that it outperformed the GFS and especially the Euro even at the limit of it's range. Of course the haters are going to throw out the old analogy, blind squirrel and nut, and continue to ignore it but the fact is the NAM does fairly well in certain setups especially within the 24 to 36 hour threshold. Now I am not saying the NAM is the greatest model out there, far from it actually, but if you know its bias' and its strengths and adjust for them accordingly it can be a useful tool in confirming or throwing up a red flag on other guidance.

Wonder how many meteorologists wished they had paid more attention to the NAM on the last storm considering that it could be strongly argued that it outperformed the GFS and especially the Euro even at the limit of it's range. Of course the haters are going to throw out the old analogy, blind squirrel and nut, and continue to ignore it but the fact is the NAM does fairly well in certain setups especially within the 24 to 36 hour threshold. Now I am not saying the NAM is the greatest model out there, far from it actually, but if you know its bias' and its strengths and adjust for them accordingly it can be a useful tool in confirming or throwing up a red flag on other guidance.

well said!!

for what hour?? approx

Just look at the progression and interaction of the trough and the energy at 500mb from 78 hr through 102. Much better looked compared to the to the 00Z. I haven't really looked into the temps, which are probably marginal at best, but if I were in eastern NC and VA as well as the southern Md shorelines I might be getting a little exited. 

The 06Z has a  much better look at 500. Trough axis and progression has improved and now we are seeing more interaction between the southern energy and the northern energy diving south.

That low to the NW is key. Looks like it might be far enough east to not completely wreck the midlevels, but how it interacts with the coastal low is going to determine how close it can track. My wag is it ends up being close enough for a minor event for someone, probably coastal areas, but temps will be marginal.

One of the things I am really interested here weather wise are temps and refreeze.  There are countless roads throughout the state that simply havent been touched.If we get a little rain on Tuesday and  then it goes down in the teens on Wednesday morning... that is the dagger... kids may not go back to school for two weeks.  I am serious... I don't see how they can move the snow after that.  

That low to the NW is key. Looks like it might be far enough east to not completely wreck the midlevels, but how it interacts with the coastal low is going to determine how close it can track. My wag is it ends up being close enough for a minor event for someone, probably coastal areas, but temps will be marginal.

Agreed, but I do wonder with the fact it is dropping down into the lakes from Canada (vs. pulling up from the south to our west) and its positioning during any possible storm if it may actually be beneficial to the temp profile. Just a cursory look but it doesn't look like its bringing in much of a SW fetch so the damage to the mid-levels beforehand should be minimal and the cold it's dragging behind could possibly be in quick enough for any potential storm. Of course don't think that would be of any help down in NC and VA where I think their hope would lie in this bombing out to a point.

Agreed, but I do wonder with the fact it is dropping down into the lakes from Canada (vs. pulling up from the south to our west) and its positioning during any possible storm if it may actually be beneficial to the temp profile. Just a cursory look but it doesn't look like its bringing in much of a SW fetch so the damage to the mid-levels beforehand should be minimal and the cold it's dragging behind could possibly be in quick enough for any potential storm. Of course don't think that would be of any help down in NC and VA where I think their hope would lie in this bombing out to a point.

actually, there is no warmup on that low from canada, as cold air still well situated down to iowa due east.not the typical warm front with the low, interesting observ on your part, other point, is the moisture assoc with low off coast, well inland, does that pull NE away from land, as low seems to be doing, or is 2nd low forming??

actually, there is no warmup on that low from canada, as cold air still well situated down to iowa due east.not the typical warm front with the low, interesting observ on your part, other point, is the moisture assoc with low off coast, well inland, does that pull NE away from land, as low seems to be doing, or is 2nd low forming??

Just glanced over some of the temp profiles and it actually does have some minimal erosion of the cold air from the GL low at 925mb to where it makes temps marginal. Keep in mind that is with the low somewhat off the coast. If we were to see the low tucked in more I think that would hinder somewhat the advancement of warmer air at 925, at least for our neck of the woods.

Just glanced over some of the temp profiles and it actually does have some minimal erosion of the cold air from the GL low at 925mb to where it makes temps marginal. Keep in mind that is with the low somewhat off the coast. If we were to see the low tucked in more I think that would hinder somewhat the advancement of warmer air at 925, at least for our neck of the woods.

isnt that moisture inland from ocean low awful far separate from related low off coast, doesnt make a lot of sense??

Yuck that would mean Freezing Rain. 

ETA: Can the NAVGEM corollary still be used meaning that guidance that is east of it will trend west.  

I think you mean if the NAVGEM shows a major hit on its guidance, doesn't it usually signal/mean that the other guidance will be coming westward?  Or is that just baloney?

Archived