joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have received an inch of snow between 5-8am, but it has gone over to at least a sleet mix.  Dual-pol radar, reports to the south, and models suggest we'll be at least mixed through mid afternoon, if not all sleet.

I'm getting sleet mixed in with snow also.  When I woke up, it was all snow.

EDIT: Back to all snow now.

Maybe more sleet than freezing rain? Dear god, I have no freaking idea. I will shut up, haha.

Haha.  Sometimes it's kinda hard to tell.  I think I've been underestimating how much sleet is actually mixed in.  It's probably been more like 50/50 based on lack of glazing relative to the precip intensity/duration.  Probably around 0.10" or so of glazing so far.  Right now I think it's more sleet than freezing rain.  If it stays this way we may come out of this in decent shape, as temps should be above freezing by 2-3pm.

If you can hear it, it's sleet. Radar would suggest that.

Lovely mix of sleet and snow in Libertyville - drive into work was a little dicey in spots. The further south I drove (working in Rosemont), the clearer the roads. Hoping for some sleet, little to no ice accretion (sick of dealing with downed tree limbs), then some rain to wash it all away. That's pretty much how i expect this storm to go, at least in terms of precip.

Live cam: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/libertyville-snow

Archived