joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local mets going with 1-2" of snow, the rest mainly sleet and even a tad bit of rain.  Unless you think I should be happy with 1-2" snow events with a crapload of sleet, sounds like you're thinking they're going to bust.  I actually agree they'll bust a bit, my prediction is 3-4" of snow in total (even if that is not the snow depth at the end) and the rest sleet with maybe a short period of rain.

Too low on snow accumulations.

Still with a nice band along/south of I-80

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Would not be surprised to see part of LOT's advisory area hit warning criteria.  Depends on how quickly temperatures rise and how much sleet mixes in of course.

That's significantly less freezing rain in overall coverage compared to the RGEM.  Will be interesting to see what verifies.  

HRRR/NAM/GFS/RGEM/NNM/ARW still in large disagreement for types and amounts of various precip types even at this eleventh hour.  Makes it pretty exciting, yet a bit frustrating as well.  

Final call for here/QC based on latest clusterfuk of guidance...

3" sleet

0.2" freezing rain/glazing

0.2" plain rain

0.1" snow

Peak gust at MLI/DVN 55mph

Loop the map on COD...

SLP is heading east with the heavy convection for now.

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/analysis/surface/index.php?type=sgp-fronts-1

Not too surprising, it is going to follow the heavy convection for a bit, this usually happens with squall lines down south before the convection starts wrapping into the low as it gets close to starting the occlusion process.

Local mets going with 1-2" of snow, the rest mainly sleet and even a tad bit of rain.  Unless you think I should be happy with 1-2" snow events with a crapload of sleet, sounds like you're thinking they're going to bust.  I actually agree they'll bust a bit, my prediction is 3-4" of snow in total (even if that is not the snow depth at the end) and the rest sleet with maybe a short period of rain.

If we get the kind of precip forecast those temps above freezing between 850-  700 will quickly drop below freezing.IE more snow than sleet!

Key is the track and I see that the 000z GEFS ensemble forecast has not budged from its previous runs of tracking the low center over extreme southern lake Michigan.If such be the case you may get a lot more snow than is currently being forecast for your area.

Of course it possible the high resolution models have a better handle on this kind of storm than the GFS but given recent up grade to the GEFS am hopeful it is about to show its up graded quality at this point.

WPC should be ashamed me thinks of buying the cool aid of their multi model forecast!

Interesting point forecast.  Never seen a sleet forecast of 1-3" before for this area.  Eat you heart out LAF.

Rest Of Tonight
Blustery...cloudy. A slight chance of sleet after midnight. Sleet likely early in the morning. Little or no new sleet accumulation. Low in the upper 20s. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph increasing to 35 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Monday
Windy. Sleet in the morning...then freezing rain possibly mixed with rain and sleet in the afternoon. Precipitation may be heavy at times. Sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Ice accumulation of one quarter to one half of an inch. High in the mid 30s. East wind 25 to 35 mph with gusts to around 45 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Monday Night
Cloudy. Snow in the evening...then a chance of light snow and patchy freezing drizzle after midnight. Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Total snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Low in the lower 30s. East wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 40 mph shifting to the south 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Interesting point forecast.  Never seen a sleet forecast of 1-3" before for this area.  Eat you heart out LAF.

Rest Of Tonight
Blustery...cloudy. A slight chance of sleet after midnight. Sleet likely early in the morning. Little or no new sleet accumulation. Low in the upper 20s. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph increasing to 35 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Monday
Windy. Sleet in the morning...then freezing rain possibly mixed with rain and sleet in the afternoon. Precipitation may be heavy at times. Sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Ice accumulation of one quarter to one half of an inch. High in the mid 30s. East wind 25 to 35 mph with gusts to around 45 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Monday Night
Cloudy. Snow in the evening...then a chance of light snow and patchy freezing drizzle after midnight. Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Total snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Low in the lower 30s. East wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 40 mph shifting to the south 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Had more sleet than that in 2011 but similar winds.  You're in for a real treat if it pans out.  :lol:

Had more sleet than that in 2011 but similar winds.  You're in for a real treat if it pans out.  :lol:

Can't wait lol.  I'm on the sleet bandwagon now given the slight southeastward trends this evening.  Some of the models would indicate over 5" of sleet verbatim given the 3:1 ratio general rule.  Can't really see much snow falling here, or nearby with such strong WAA knifing in from the southeast aloft.  Despite some of the southeast trends of the system the intense WAA should keep the appreciable snow accumulations well northwest of this area.  A burst or two of heavy snow would be possible given the strong dynamics, but intense WAA should negate that to a few brief bursts here and there.  

Archived