joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe me, I'm in the part of town in Hillsdale that has consumers and I know I'm going to lose power, and seeing how the NWS offices are taking the low end safe route they probably aren't going to be prepared to fix lines at max capacity.

That is a good point. If this storm gets as icy and windy as it could, there is going to be absolute mayhem on the power grids. I'm really hoping we don't get much icing at all.

Save worthy zone for Cook county

-

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  417 PM CST SUN DEC 27 2015    ILZ014-281530-  COOK-  INCLUDING THE CITY OF...CHICAGO  417 PM CST SUN DEC 27 2015     ..WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 1 PM CST MONDAY    ...LAKESHORE FLOOD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT  CST MONDAY NIGHT...   ..HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM TO 7 PM CST MONDAY       TONIGHT  CLOUDY. A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT RAIN SHOWERS IN  THE EVENING. BLUSTERY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. NORTHEAST WINDS  15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.    MONDAY...VERY WINDY. FREEZING RAIN  SLEET OR RAIN IN THE  MORNING...THEN RAIN OR FREEZING RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. LITTLE OR  NO SLEET ACCUMULATION. ICE ACCUMULATION OF UP TO ONE TENTH TO ONE  QUARTER OF AN INCH...ESPECIALLY FAR NORTHWEST SUBURBS. HIGHS IN  THE MID 30S. INLAND...EAST WINDS INCREASING TO 25 TO 40 MPH IN  THE AFTERNOON...GUSTS INCREASING TO UP TO 50 MPH IN THE  AFTERNOON. NEAR THE LAKE...EAST WINDS INCREASING TO 35 TO 45 MPH  IN THE AFTERNOON... GUSTS INCREASING TO UP TO 60 MPH IN THE  AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 100 PERCENT.   MONDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. RAIN IN THE EVENING  THEN A CHANCE OF  LIGHT RAIN SHOWERS OR LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE  OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. BLUSTERY. LOWS IN THE MID 30S. INLAND...  EAST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH IN THE EVENING  SHIFTING TO THE SOUTH 10 TO 15 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. NEAR THE  LAKE...SOUTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH IN  THE EVENING BECOMING SOUTH AND DECREASING TO 10 TO 20 MPH AFTER  MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 90 PERCENT.    

Think I looked at like every possible 12z model lol...anyway, subject to change but my first guess for here would be sleet changing to freezing rain changing to rain with ice amounts perhaps in the 0.15-0.25" range.  Always have to keep in mind marine and urban effects around here...as far as marine, winds look to be almost due east or just a bit north of due east which means that there would be little marine influence at my location with most of the marine effects farther up the shore in IL/WI.

As has been mentioned numerous times, winds should magnify the impact of whatever ice occurs, but that amount of ice shouldn't be too damaging.  Would get more concerned if amounts go over a quarter inch.   

Think this call from yesterday is still reasonable.  If things break right, then the top end of the range or perhaps a bit above would be likely, but just too much uncertainty with temps and even with how long sleet hangs on. 

The Obs tonight will be what tells the models to raise or lower the ice, this could be very serious. If you need anything I'd go get it tonight.

Already did... I had to get some gas for the generator so I figured I'd pick up some more groceries while I was out. Kroger wasn't even busy but I'll bet the place will be a nuthouse later tonight and in the morning. 

Forecast has 0.1-0.3" of ice tomorrow here.

If the GFS is to be believed, then Madison will be ground zero for the snow. And the model keeps on pushing the snow across the state line into far northern IL...

post-46-0-44863700-1451252667.gif

Milwaukee and Madison will be interesting to watch for sure. As things stand now, the soundings for both locations are borderline between seeing Sleet vs. Snow, but could certainly see those type of snowfall amounts happen if no mixing issues occur (definitely a possibility between the convective nature of the precip and the dry NE flow)

Maybe wisconsinwx will finally reel in one for once...

RAP already showing 1-1.50" of precip down in parts of western IL by 10am, with plenty to go.  I have a feeling some areas could get close to an inch of glazing, even with sleet dominating the type at onset.  Probably some localized areas that can maintain the balance of heavy rain, lack of sleet, and AOB freezing for the longest.  Where that ends up happening is difficult to say at this point.  Northeast MO/western IL to a little south of the QC is where I think the biggest chance of that happening is.  

69geuc.jpg

29qmm0x.jpg

Archived