joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A look at H7 VV's on the RGEM. Pretty intense in the WAA zone.

attachicon.gif2015122706_054_R1_north@america_I_OMEGA_ww700@gz700_045.png

A look at H7 VV's on the RGEM. Pretty intense in the WAA zone.

attachicon.gif2015122706_054_R1_north@america_I_OMEGA_ww700@gz700_045.png

with deepening closed H5 low and strong ridge on the EC, the orientation of the llj and its associated moisture transport is forced to be delivered into the lower lakes, rather than peeling off to coast like it typically does. I don't think juice is going to be a problem.

DTX added the northern Detroit suburbs to the Winter Storm Watch for Ice accumulation.

Right move, if it occludes earlier then the WAA gets choked off at the surface and we end up with more ice. Eventually as the low passes to our west we will go above freezing but by then we will have the ice to deal with already. One thing to note though accretion will be a bit slow if the precip rates are too high along with the concrete being warm. Trees and power lines should accrete fairly well which will be bad with the wind expecting to gust to 35.

Not even looking forward to this.

Edit: I suppose getting some more gas for the generator is probably a wise move, based on the ice and winds.

Yeah this could be ugly for someone, on the plus side if it keeps ticking south, your area might end up with more sleet and snow.

Tough call down into the I-80 corridor and perhaps southward of IL/IN that isn't in the watch area in terms of how long AOB freezing temps can hang on.  Certainly some model signals of ice being a bigger deal than current forecasts.  As usual in these setups, a lot of nowcasting may be required.

Shouldn't be a long period of rain, if at all, around here. Million dollar question is do we see majority freezing rain, sleet, snow or none of those as a majority.

GFS has us both in a heavy snow area about 6pm Monday before the dry slot comes in. That could be fun to watch.

Noticing northern lower MI is a a few degrees cooler in most places than the GFS guidance.

Tough call down into the I-80 corridor and perhaps southward of IL/IN that isn't in the watch area in terms of how long AOB freezing temps can hang on.  Certainly some model signals of ice being a bigger deal than current forecasts.  As usual in these setups, a lot of nowcasting may be required.

Very difficult forecast.  Earlier on I was pretty hesitant about glazing potential with lack of snow cover, and strong WAA.  However many models are consistently keeping temps AOB freezing.  The only model that warms the surface up fairly quickly that I've seen is the ARW.  Most of the others keep the freezing line fairly stable during the day.  

I think no matter what we're pretty much guaranteed to lose power here tomorrow.  The strong winds alone would be enough to potentially cause sporadic outages.  Even the slightest glazing at all with these winds will mean widespread outages.  Major glazing will mean outages for days unfortunately.  

This is starting to look like one hell of an ice storm for many parts of our sub.

Archived