joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 25-29th Storm Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to stay calm till we get some run to run consistency.Noon GFS looks a lot like the 1200z

Euro.

The cut off will come out but where it goes, "nobody knows."  Models may not have a handle on this till late this weekend.

Great eye candy that Scan. ridge bending back over the north Atlantic and creating a legit -NAO.

Makes for a hopeless pattern actually having some potential.

Happy new model run anticipation for us all this holiday season!

Was looking at CIPS analogs for this one and perhaps not surprisingly, about half of the analogs were from Nino winters (rest spread out between Nina or neutral) with several events from the 82-83 and 97-98 winters. 

Obviously too early for details but the general synoptic setup screams ice, and probably over a pretty wide area given that we look to have a relatively deep system that gains a lot of latitude over time vs. more of a bowling ball setup. 

Was looking at CIPS analogs for this one and perhaps not surprisingly, about half of the analogs were from Nino winters (rest spread out between Nina or neutral) with several events from the 82-83 and 97-98 winters. 

Obviously too early for details but the general synoptic setup screams ice, and probably over a pretty wide area given that we look to have a relatively deep system that gains a lot of latitude over time vs. more of a bowling ball setup. 

I remember a multi wave system in January of 98 from a situation like this. It was a thread the needle type of snow event I remember. It over performed locally - something like 7 or 8 inches fell when 2-4" were predicted. Heavy wet snow under 10:1.

Last map off the 0z NAM.

namconus_ref_frzn_eus_28.png

namconus_T850_eus_29.png

namconus_mslp_uv850_eus_29.png

Calling that 'snow' is kind. This is what i mean by rushing the cutoff north. There is a kicker, but I think it would dive further southwest, possibly arriving when all the cold air is gone.

It's that bigger piece of energy diving into California that kicks it out.

gfs_z500a_us_21.png

Archived