CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 25-29th Storm Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro would look like a pretty bad ice storm for some areas with the warmer thermals undercut by subfreezing temps.  For example over an inch of precip falls over this area with temps below freezing.  These model runs are all over the place, so I'm not buying into anything yet.  Although it's looking like the potential is there for some heavy wintry precip for a large area of the sub to be sure.

Serious amount of QPF on the front end for us but looks too warm aloft for snow, 850's look to be slightly too warm. 

Heaviest snow swath at least on WxBell runs from central KS to western IA and ENE to MSN/central WI

Got a feeling will be talking about a significant ice threat in the sub forum come early next week. Models aren't backing off on the idea yet.

500 mb map

ecmwf_z500a_us_6.png

850 mb

ecmwf_T850_us_6.png

Serious amount of QPF on the front end for us but looks too warm aloft for snow, 850's look to be slightly too warm. 

Heaviest snow swath at least on WxBell runs from central KS to western IA and ENE to MSN/central WI

With no access to the precip maps, does most of the front-end thump for Chicago and Milwaukee fall at night?  That may help, though with the problem being the upper levels it would be less likely than if it were too warm in the low levels.

Euro would look like a pretty bad ice storm for some areas with the warmer thermals undercut by subfreezing temps.  For example over an inch of precip falls over this area with temps below freezing.  These model runs are all over the place, so I'm not buying into anything yet.  Although it's looking like the potential is there for some heavy wintry precip for a large area of the sub to be sure.

I'm down for a good ice storm IMBY

I'm down for a good ice storm IMBY

Would suck to lose power, but from a met perspective ice storms are very cool.  No pun intended lol.  

Question becomes if the area of ice comes to pass, how much of it will be sleet as opposed to freezing rain.  Have the feeling we'll be glancing at quite a few forecast soundings in the next few days.

If ice ends up becoming a threat, the the strong easterlies may really have an impact.  Strong pressure gradient looks like it should help produce very strong winds Monday evening north of the surface low.  Euro showing over 60kts just off the surface.

A lot to figure in the coming days.  Besides track and magnitude/depth of the cold air, how much will accrete vs. run off given heavy precip rates. 

post-14-0-32975000-1450983369_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a sudden twist. About 12 hours ago it sounded like I needed to get a raft ready. This is definitely worth watching, there hasnt really been a big post-Christmas ice storm out east in several years. Seems like the GFS and Canadian are advertising it the most, but I've seen signals elsewhere of an icy event as well.

Just to illustrate the dry air associated with the Canadian high pressure:

post-14-0-61117200-1450986586_thumb.png

A couple things to keep in mind.  One, we'll have to see if the dry air is underestimated and delays precip onset and two, as long as low level trajectories are feeding off of the high (E/NE winds), it will supply a source of low level cold/dry air to try to counteract attempts to warm above freezing.

Archived