joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are clearly 2 camps right now in regards to Jan 22-23. The gfs/ggem ops with their farther North and tight to the coast depictions while the other camp (euro op, eps, gefs, geps) are all ots from around OBX. Still extremely early, but I would tend to lean towards the latter camp at this point. Ens means generally do ok at this range. Still a long way to go so expect many changes as the week progresses.

There are clearly 2 camps right now in regards to Jan 22-23. The gfs/ggem ops with their farther North and tight to the coast depictions while the other camp (euro op, eps, gefs, geps) are all ots from around OBX. Still extremely early, but I would tend to lean towards the latter camp at this point. Ens means generally do ok at this range. Still a long way to go so expect many changes as the week progresses.

They don't do ok - here is last Saturday the 9th GEFS precip for todays storm - predicted just about nothing and NYC got .24 plus what ever fell before midnight - and if you look at the total precip for the next couple of days it was predicting tomorrow's and monday's storm to dump significant amounts of precip in the metro

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_28.png

They don't do ok - here is last Saturday the 9th GEFS precip for todays storm - predicted just about nothing and NYC got .24 plus what ever fell before midnight - and if you look at the total precip for the next couple of days it was predicting tomorrow's and monday's storm to dump significant amounts of precip in the metro

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_28.png

Fair enough, the ens means are not completely infallible. However, given the current data and range, which camp would you lean towards at the moment? And I realize neither may even end up being correct.

Fair enough, the ens means are not completely infallible. However, given the current data and range, which camp would you lean towards at the moment? And I realize neither may even end up being correct.

I don't lean towards any camp right now - and I also believe that anyone that is writing this storm off at this range just because the way the winter has gone so far is being foolish...........

It's not writing anything off. It's acknowledging that you have a raging super El Niño with a roided STJ slamming into the west coast with progressive flow and a parade of cyclones across the pacific which knocks down any temp PNA ridge that tries to form and that fast flow doesn't allow SWs that break on the east coast to slow down, phase and amplify and let a storm climb the coast

It looks more like a non Miller B version of 2/8/13

Just got an email from Larry C.

"What do you do when three of the four major computer models forecast the threat for a major winter storm affecting the Old South, and the one outlier equation happens to be the ECMWF scheme? It would be easy to write off the chance for important frozen precipitation. Yes, the American and Canadian schemes are predicting 2 to 3 feet of snow for parts of Appalachia and the Interstate 95 corridor, which is unlikely to happen! But I suspect that the European panels are not initializing the southern branch very well, So a chunk of Dixie and the Eastern Seaboard could get hit with the first accumulating frozen precipitation event of the season.

But before anyone goes crazy with cheering for a major snowstorm, the structure of this disturbance points toward a limited area of precipitation in the cold sectors. At least some of the event is bound to be rain as far north as the New York NY metro. Remember that the air mass in the Midwest and Northeast, while still nominally in the polar to Arctic spectrum, will be moderating. So in the chance that you snow enthusiasts "get lucky", some change to liquid type is probable where lower elevations are involved in the Mid-Atlantic and southern New England regions on Friday and Saturday. Conversely, parts of the Interstate 70 corridor (and perhaps the western half of the Interstate 40 communities) may get appreciable snowfall as the temperature profiles stay below 35 deg F at surface."

Just got an email from Larry C.

"What do you do when three of the four major computer models forecast the threat for a major winter storm affecting the Old South, and the one outlier equation happens to be the ECMWF scheme? It would be easy to write off the chance for important frozen precipitation. Yes, the American and Canadian schemes are predicting 2 to 3 feet of snow for parts of Appalachia and the Interstate 95 corridor, which is unlikely to happen! But I suspect that the European panels are not initializing the southern branch very well, So a chunk of Dixie and the Eastern Seaboard could get hit with the first accumulating frozen precipitation event of the season.

But before anyone goes crazy with cheering for a major snowstorm, the structure of this disturbance points toward a limited area of precipitation in the cold sectors. At least some of the event is bound to be rain as far north as the New York NY metro. Remember that the air mass in the Midwest and Northeast, while still nominally in the polar to Arctic spectrum, will be moderating. So in the chance that you snow enthusiasts "get lucky", some change to liquid type is probable where lower elevations are involved in the Mid-Atlantic and southern New England regions on Friday and Saturday. Conversely, parts of the Interstate 70 corridor (and perhaps the western half of the Interstate 40 communities) may get appreciable snowfall as the temperature profiles stay below 35 deg F at surface."

doesnt sound like a big deal if temps are marginal...those often don't work out for the coastal plain

http://climate.cod.edu/hanis/model/mod/index.php?type=18-GFS-WLD-250-spd-168-1

Global View GFS 18z

250mb jet pattern 

This storm looks like a hiccup for our area

in the overall picture ATM

fast and flat flow is not that hard to follow---IMHO   

PRECIPITABLE WATER LOOP

for good measure

http://climate.cod.edu/hanis/model/mod/index.php?type=18-GFS-NE-prec-pwat-168-1 

not a forecast...just a vibe,that follows along with some respected posters

i think OTS is most likely. i doubt the pac jet allows a slow moving cutoff

no offense but u always think the worst cause I'm assuming you get some type of satisfaction out of all us weenies not getting any snow. Grow out of it and don't be ignorant man. I think we're getting a snowstorm and that's my final answer? You wanna bet?

no offense but u always think the worst cause I'm assuming you get some type of satisfaction out of all us weenies not getting any snow. Grow out of it and don't be ignorant man. I think we're getting a snowstorm and that's my final answer? You wanna bet?

Don't bet against forky. It's often -- though not always -- a losing proposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:popcorn:

Well the AO and NAO are rising. A storm usually happens when they rise.

:popcorn:

Well the AO and NAO are rising. A storm usually happens when they rise.

i made two bets so far this year have won both. One against forky that we'd get some snow flurries got them... Than another one against longislandsurffreak for snow showers by the 22nd won that too a few days ago. I'm willing to bet that we get a big blizzard coming up! Next weekend

Archived